Naughty Vatican (gay thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naughty Vatican (gay thread)

I'm too lazy to look it up in English, so do it yourselves.
    It seems that the new pope or someone else got to the point that the only way to fight paedophilia among priest is fighting gay priest. It was decided so because 80% of victims of paedophilic priests were boys.
    It is thought, though, that this high percentage of homosexual paedophilia among priests is caused by
    a) easier access to boys (altar boys etc)
    b) high percentage of gays among American catholic clergy (some estimate it on 60% - and claim it is because gay priests were less likely to leave their mission for marriage).
    Another reason given for anti-gay action is that "a gay in seminarium is like a young heterosexual in female hostel" - but keeping people in one-sex enviroment ends up in homosexual behaviour even in people not inclined to it by nature!
    Anyway: it is good that they are trying to do something about the problem. But their idea how to solve that is completely idiotic. I hope they will realise that.
    I think that church should support gays for priests - after all, according to the doctrine, they should live in celibate anyway.
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Heresson

I just think it's ridiculous. Priests are supposed to be celibate. A priest that pines over men is no different from one that pines over women because NEITHER is supposed to do anything about it.

And equating homosexuality with pedophila is just wrong.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It makes sense to me. If you put a celibate straight person in a nunnery, that's the same as putting a celibate gay person in a monastery. You enforce the separation between the men and women, in order to make celibacy easier to acheive.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
        It makes sense to me. If you put a celibate straight person in a nunnery, that's the same as putting a celibate gay person in a monastery. You enforce the separation between the men and women, in order to make celibacy easier to acheive.
        I didn't know that people of faith were that easily fallen to temptation. Better just fold up the whole religion if the most faithful can't cut it in their roles.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I didn't know that people of faith were that easily fallen to temptation. Better just fold up the whole religion if the most faithful can't cut it in their roles.
          Who ever said that even the most faithful live a life in total accordance with Christ's? Everyone sins, no one is exempt.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Who ever said that even the most faithful live a life in total accordance with Christ's? Everyone sins, no one is exempt.
            But shouldn't the most faithful be stronger than that? Does being thrown into a room with members of the gender that arouses them turn Churchmen into raving orgy seekers?

I think Heresson wouldn't see it that way.

Comment

Yeah, but we expect priests to sin by boozing and cheating at golf, not by breaking their vow of celibacy.

Comment

But shouldn't the most faithful be stronger than that? Does being thrown into a room with members of the gender that arouses them turn Churchmen into raving orgy seekers?
                Monasteries are somewhat different. You spend your entire life with the other monks, and so any temptation will be heightened since you will be constantly exposed.

Comment

Monasteries are somewhat different. You spend your entire life with the other monks, and so any temptation will be heightened since you will be constantly exposed.
                  So? If they can't handle such temptation, then you can kick 'em out. If a guy CAN handle the temptation, you want him kicked out too?

Comment

So? If they can't handle such temptation, then you can kick 'em out. If a guy CAN handle the temptation, you want him kicked out too?
                    Why not put women together with the men? The point is that avoiding temptation in the first place is better then trying to clean up the mess after.

Comment

So non-practising religious folk can get into heaven, but non-practising gay people can't?

Comment

Another thing to consider is that alot of these priests are closeted/self-loathing homosexuals, and are attracted to Catholic priesthood (because of the celibacy) as means to regulate their sexuality and be "normal". Of course this doesn't work and you end up with these seminary orgies we're seeing.

Its probably a similar thing with pedophiles. Especially so considering what a taboo it is in western society.

Comment

b) high percentage of gays among American catholic clergy (some estimate it on 60% - and claim it is because gay priests were less likely to leave their mission for marriage).
                          Seems a bit high, but I might believe it. I was talking to my mom recently about the church (Catholic) I used to attend growing up. I was shocked to learn that at least half of the priests I could remember have boyfriends (all rumor of course) and are still practicing priests.

I don't know if any are/were pedophiles though. I tend to doubt it since homosexuality and pedophilia are two entirely different animals.

Comment

Why not put women together with the men? The point is that avoiding temptation in the first place is better then trying to clean up the mess after.
                            Then what's the point of taking a vow of celibacy! If you are insulated from women, it really isn't anything big, is it? You aren't facing temptation and winning, you are cheating to make it absurdly easy.

Yes, put them together, then we'll see who the true faithful are and who are lying through their teeth!

Comment

The priest at the church round the corner from where I grew up was "moved on to another parish" (far, far away) for "unspecified allegations" of kiddy fiddling.
                              But I don't think it is that common. Too common, sure, but then one is too many. There are often several churches in even the smallest towns, and only in the deepest country does one priest have to travel around to say mass. Mind you, numbers are falling, which will only make people think that paedophilia is rife.

Comment

Working...
                              X