No announcement yet.

German Elections -- Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"In the event that the Linkspartei does join (there's a lot of show going on between Lafontaine and Schroeder IMO)"

This will never happen.
    "Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

Yes, I'm afraid the next 4 years won't amount to much.

Very bad for Germany and bad for Europe in general.
      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Originally posted by siron
        "In the event that the Linkspartei does join (there's a lot of show going on between Lafontaine and Schroeder IMO)"

This will never happen.

Given Schroeder's track record. Why do you think that will NOT happen?
        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Comment

We have now some reports that the SPD might have overtaken the CDU.

Cap, Lafontaine will play no role in any Schroeder new government (if we indeed get one), since he was minister in Schroeder's first cabinet, and had lots of trouble with Schroeder - he left the gov, and since then both are personal enemies. Some journalists here believe that his comeback in politics with the leftist party (he was completely out of business in the years before) has a lot to do with these personal hostilities.

However, the Linkspartei simply isn't accepted here by any of the other parties, so even without the Schroeder-Lafontaine problem there wouldn't be much chances that they get involved somehow in the government, or that the others would form a minority gov to be tolerated by the Linke. This happens in some regional govs, but it is next to impossible on the national level.
          Blah

Comment

He hates Lafontaine.

The right-wing media calls Schroeder an opportunist.

The right-wing media wrote that he would send troops to iraq after he is reelected.

His necessary agenda2010 almost destroyed the SPD. He lost almost all Laender.

He is convinced that these are the right steps. Thats not opportunism.

Comment

Both the CDU/CSU and SPD claimed to start talks with everyone except the Linke.
              Even the green said they'd be open to all options, but I highly doubt we'll see the "Schwarze Ampel" Black-Yellow-Green.

But this is probably all hiding the fact that the only viable way is a grand coalition or minority government, which will probably not exist for very long.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                Is there any link to a site which has the votes cast state-by-state? I've heard the division of East and West is still very obvious.
                (west-Deutschland= Western Germany, Ost-Deutschland =former DDR)
                Attached Files
                "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

JHC, the east's politics are FUBAR.

When do the official counts start rolling in?
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Basically, I think a red-green-red option makes the most sense politically. Despite it being a minority coalition they could get implicit support from the Links partei..and presto!

The FDP perhaps? I think that the FDP would be cutting it's throat with it's voter base if it joined the current red/green coalition. Sure, they could get a few ministerial posts in this government, but they would lose half their vote in the next election--there are way too many people who voted FDP that would think that joining the current coalition would be too big a sell-out to bear.

With such a setup, don't except much reform to get through.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      JHC, the east's politics are FUBAR.

When do the official counts start rolling in?
                      By this time, I wouldn't expect the final results to differ much from what is being reported now.
                      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

I don't think Merkel should become Chancellor. She's personally less popular than Schröder and she also failed to prove herself during the campaign.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Crazy east germans.
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                            Crazy east germans.
                            Hey, I´m one of these myself ...

It´s easy to say "Schröder messed up the economy", but in fact the Conservatives have ruled for 16 years before Schröder and left many problems for him to solve.
                            I think the only real chance for boosting the economy would be a FDP government, but that would mean the dismantling of the social security net which is a big no-no with more than two third of the Germans. That´s why the FDP doesn´t get that many votes IMO.
                            Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                            Let me eat your yummy brain!
                            "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Originally posted by siron
                              He hates Lafontaine.
                              Politicians hate each other lot but they seem remarkable good at hug-and-be-friends-again

The right-wing media calls Schroeder an opportunist.
                              Yes, it's all the fault of the damn "Right-wing media" You don't know how funny that sounds.

The right-wing media wrote that he would send troops to iraq after he is reelected.
                              Well Afghanistan, but what's in a name?

His necessary agenda2010 almost destroyed the SPD. He lost almost all Laender.
                              He waited 7 years and even then the reforms were quickly watered down. (Reform wise Germany is were the Netherlands used to be in the 80's.)

He is convinced that these are the right steps. Thats not opportunism.
                              No, at the end of his rope with almost 5 million unemployed* which wasn't going down he suddenly realized he had to actually make some "right steps".

*On a positive note German unemployment will/should come down in the coming years (around 2010) but that's due to the German babyboomer generation leaving the workforce in large numbers. The Reforms themselves don't have much impact on the demography but without more Rentenreform and due to to the PAYG system it 's going to be hard on the generation that's entering the workforce right now.
                              Last edited by CapTVK; September 18, 2005, 16:34.

Comment

"Well Afghanistan, but what's in a name?"

We always supported war against terror.

But not wars to generate terror like in iraq. So whats your point.

"He waited 7 years and even then the reforms were quickly watered down."

Well. He proposed agenda2010 earlier but bundesrat and left wing slows down extremely in germany.

Thats why I hope for a grand coalition now. (Also to reform federalism here in germany.)

Comment

Working...
                                X