Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refugees in Houston "thays" wearing out their welcome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Docfeelgood

Sounds like a double standard to me.

My people have been slaves longer than blacks.
    Not in America.

I would bury my head in shame to use this as an excuse to justify this type of behavior.
    I'm not justifying it. I'm suggesting why he should let it slide -- to lighten up, as mrmitchell originally suggested.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Not in America.

I'm not justifying it. I'm suggesting why he should let it slide -- to lighten up, as mrmitchell originally suggested.

Me personaly I don't think the remark made to me would have had any effect.
      I feel sorry for bigots.
      BUT

Slavery in American history is not an excuse to diplay derogatory remarks.

Comment

maybe it would be okay to let it slide it if happened once, but if it was repeated over and over, no there is no excuse for that. period. These voluteers are giving of their time and effort to help those in need, and that's how they are repaid. what sorry pieces of ****.
        "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

I reckon none of you people have done volunteer work with some "fringe elements" of the society, such as the elderly, the dispossesed, inner city youths, etc.

They often have very, hm, interesting reactions.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
            God, I'd kill for some Popeye's chicken right now.
            Really? I could go buy some, put it in a container with dry ice, and overnight it to you . . . C.O.D.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

This so true. I am trying to figure when this country is ever going to get over this. Isnt it common knowledge that the folks that orginally held the slaves were all for other countries like england france and spain? The americans didnt become americans until the wars were over. I find it entertaiing when folks outside this country point the finger about slave holding when in actuality your ancestors, since they were here first, held the slaves. I say this because i am not a decendant of england or spain where slaves were also held, neither is my family. Being native american and mexican i have been subjected to the predjuices but you dont see me acting the fool to someone trying to help me in time of need. Quite frankly i am tired of people using any slavery issue to explain all their shortcomings. No one that i have seen that use this issue has ever been held into slavery
              Last edited by Mrs. Tuberski; September 15, 2005, 13:33.
              When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
              "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
              Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                Fried chicken brings people of all races, creeds and cultures together.
                Illuminati are not very fond of it. It clogs the brain
                Attached Files
                Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

TED?
                  How long ya had this facination about sticking things up peoples rectums?
                  Since he discovered his thumb in his mother womb.
                  Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                  Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                  "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                  From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Kaak
                    Popeyes, supporting n'awlins any way i can
                    Popeye's Chicken is owned by the same company as Church's Chicken: America's Favorite Chicken. It's HQ'd in Atlanta.

(However, Popeyes was founded in New Orleans... it just doesn't have its HQ there anymore.)
                    B♭3

Comment

Chick-fil-a PWNS all other fried chicken outlets. (Also based out of Atlanta. The founder/CEO is also a rather devout Christian, which is why their standalone stores (at least up until 2004) weren't open on Sundays.)
                      B♭3

Comment

oh,
                        BTW

The donated shoes were for the kids to have when they go to school
                        So?

The flood refugee loses everything, they get money from the government and they go out and buy clothes and shoes for their kids. Shocking, I know, but parents are strange that way.

Then someone gives them more shoes for their kids. Kids already have shoes, so being the smart Americans that they are, they sell the shoes so they have money to buy things they really need.

Yup, really strange.
                        Golfing since 67

Comment

What if he had been black and the guy making the comment had been white?

Would you still tell him to lighten up?
                          You mean I really got to explain how context works in humour?

A poor guy is embarrased about getting a freebie and says to the rich guy: bout time that a rich man had to serve the poor". That's kind of funny. It's a joke.

Rich man says to the poor man: bout time that a poor man had to serve a rich man. Not funny at all. In fact, it would be mighty strange.

White man says to a black man: bout time a black man served a white man. Them be fighting words.
                          Golfing since 67

Comment

Speaking of chicken, I want a Boston Market in my n'hood.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

"Bout time a white man had to serve a black guy" = "derogatory remark"

With what all the others said about context, plus the fact that this is around the mildest derogatory remark I've ever heard, just makes me repeat, your buddy needs to lighten up.
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

"Bout time a white man had to serve a black guy" = "derogatory remark"

With what all the others said about context, plus the fact that this is around the mildest derogatory remark I've ever heard, just makes me repeat, your buddy needs to lighten up.
                                It's amazing to the extent people will go to play off obviously racist remarks as nothing but an apparently good-intentioned joke meant of course to simply alleviate the tragedy of the situation and help bring people together

White man keepin blackie down again

Comment

Working...
                                X