Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do so many eductaed people wear glasses/contacts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dauphin
    Please explain.

You could theorise that being strong and intelligent uses too many resources if you only need to be one, the other or half and half to survive.
    Intelligence and strength are both survival traits, particularly in our primate ancestors in the past millions of years or whatever the timescale is. There's not actually that much of a tradeoff between them, like a bigger brain makes it difficult to support more muscle or something. You don't see some dichotomy between people with strong upper and lower bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Intelligence and strength are both survival traits, particularly in our primate ancestors in the past millions of years or whatever the timescale is. There's not actually that much of a tradeoff between them, like a bigger brain makes it difficult to support more muscle or something. You don't see some dichotomy between people with strong upper and lower bodies.
      There is an energy usage tradeoff. Brains require energy to stay alert and think. Muscles require energy to perform physical tasks.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: Re: Why do so many eductaed people wear glasses/contacts?

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
        There is balance in all things, young Grasshopper. The gods gave you a good brain, good eyes, and a slim waist. They balanced this out by making you ugly and giving you a small penis.
        Neither of the 2. I fully rule. It's personality where you can get me though

Comment

There is an energy usage tradeoff. Brains require energy to stay alert and think. Muscles require energy to perform physical tasks.
          Muscles don't require that energy constantly though.

Comment

hmm, larger muscle mass burns more energy even at rest

but the energy thing is red herring anyway.
            Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

I wear glasses. Not contacts- glasses. I balanced my vanity against my desire to poke my fingers in my eyes, and vanity lost.
              Oh, and is it cheap glasses bought at Wall-Mart (or whatever your local buycheap place is called) or some of those smart ones that are big business vanity thingies ?

I used glasses for some years but had to change and decided to try contact lenses - talk about difference !!! No more irritating turbulence in the eye areas when cycling - no more steamed glasses - full viewsight without the rim of the glasses.

About the "poke a finger in the eye" - well it took less than a week to get used to it.

On topic, I don't think that having bad sight is a proof of beeing a geek, nerd or being intelligent having seen examples of glasswearers that definitely wasn't any of those.

@ Dauphin. You are right that both things demands energy, but you can't say that energy used on physical activity means you use less on thinking - my experience is that heavy physical activity actually helps using you brain afterwards. Most important - you are able to use you brain for more years instead of the short burst until dead of heart diseases etc due to "bad lifestyle"
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                Oh, and is it cheap glasses bought at Wall-Mart (or whatever your local buycheap place is called) or some of those smart ones that are big business vanity thingies ?
                You can get glasses at Walmart? Wtf?

I've always gotten mine from Lenscrafters.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

You can get glasses at Walmart? Wtf?

I've always gotten mine from Lenscrafters.
                  I haven't a clue We don't have Walmarts here but our similiaries called Netto do sell glasses, so I guess that WM do it too.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yeah I wear glasses myself, but I don't know if I fit the standard stereotype of the small, unathletic bookworm. Being as small as I am, that rules out most contact sports, but things like track and soccer, I used to really enjoy, even though I can't see things very well.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I don't think there's much difference in energy use of the brains between an intelligent person and a not-so intelligent person. Maybe a couple of percent.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

@ Dauphin. You are right that both things demands energy, but you can't say that energy used on physical activity means you use less on thinking - my experience is that heavy physical activity actually helps using you brain afterwards. Most important - you are able to use you brain for more years instead of the short burst until dead of heart diseases etc due to "bad lifestyle"
                        My comment was directed at evolutionary processes. We are the most intelligent species on Earth (supposedly) yet we are also physically one of the weediest. There is a reason for it.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I dont think we are that relitavely physically weak, but in an evolutionary situation with finite resources, then it seems brains + less muscle has won over muscle + less brains.

Now our evolution is not restricted by finite resources, so we should be able to advance in both areas. except perhaps for time is a finite resource. But then I think both physical and mental development suffer from laws of diminshing returns anyway

Comment

My comment was directed at evolutionary processes. We are the most intelligent species on Earth (supposedly) yet we are also physically one of the weediest. There is a reason for it.
                            We're really not that weedy. We're designed to be omnivorous endurance predators- catching faster animals by just relentlessly chasing them until they drop from exhaustion.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Sounds like a friday night at the pikey meat markets

Comment

We're really not that weedy. We're designed to be omnivorous endurance predators- catching faster animals by just relentlessly chasing them until they drop from exhaustion.

Comment

Working...
                                X