• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey (So Long & Goodnight)

Turkey will abandon EU if faces new conditions: Gul
    (AP)

2 September 2005

ANKARA - Turkey will abandon its bid to join the European Union if the EU imposes new conditions or tries to offer Ankara a relationship that falls short of full membership, its foreign minister was quoted on Friday as saying.

“Should they (the EU) propose anything short of full membership or any new conditions, we will walk away. And this time it will be for good,” The Economist magazine quoted Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul as saying.

“No one should expect Turkey to make any concessions this time. We have stuck to our side of the bargain, the EU should stick to theirs,” Gul said.

Turkey is due to start EU entry talks on Oct. 3 but the 25-nation bloc must first approve a negotiating mandate. Gul was due to meet EU foreign ministers on Friday in Wales during talks dominated by Ankara’s membership bid.

Tension rose between Turkey and the EU after Ankara said on Thursday it would not open its ports and airports to EU member Cyprus, a move the union said breached its EU customs pact.

EU foreign ministers, meeting in Wales, agreed in principle to send a firm response to Turkey’s refusal to recognise Cyprus but did not call into question the planned Oct. 3 start of membership talks, British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said.

after managing to get away from having to solve the Cyprus occupation issue in order to start membership talks, Turkey now wants to get away with not recognizing Cyprus (something that the EU has given them a whole year to comply to)....
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Alternative thread name:

Troll & So Long & Good Night
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

and Chirac acts like a coward

Chirac has twice urged Turkey to clarify its stance on Cyprus and has asked it to offer assurances that it will carry out all its commitments to the EU, but he has also made clear Paris will not block the start of the accession talks.

Chirac backed the EU's decision last December to invite Turkey to start entry talks but now appears determined to show he has taken account of French public opinion, which has swung strongly against Turkey's entry bid.

"we believe turkey should recognize cyprus but if they dont, we're not going to be the ones to veto.
      hey, let's hope someone else does it for us"

Comment

If the EU was serious about Turkey they wouldn't have allowed or put up with Cyprus' rejection of the deal. The Turks should have put the Greek Cypriots to the sword, one can never trust Greeks. Troy was merely an early example of Greek perfidy.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

if we remember the fact that greek cypriots rejected the peace treaty, I don't think that turkey is the problem.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Gul? What role play the Cardassians here?
            Blah

Comment

Well, it's a club, if you don't meet the requirements, it's ta-ta.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                if we remember the fact that greek cypriots rejected the peace treaty, I don't think that turkey is the problem.
                given the use of the term "peace treaty" it's clear what your knowledge on the issue is....

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
                  Troy was merely an early example of Greek perfidy.
                  if we hadnt stopped the Persians in Marathon you would be speaking Iranian now....

Comment

no, we would speak Russian now, or Nazi, and we still talk Swedish so.. what I suggest for you people to do is start learning Finnish very soon, because that's the only language allowed and if you don't know it, you are subjected to life in prison. By my orders.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

why would i want to learn a language that nobody in the entire world understands ?
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

and when you all speak english so well.
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

if we hadnt stopped the Persians in Marathon you would be speaking Iranian now
                          Still waiting for some African tribe to claim that if they hadn't stopped that lion, none of us would be alive today.

Comment

My gut feeling is that I don't want Turkey joining the EU. I don't want it to become to large, at least not in its current forum. And after being to the european parlament in Strasbourg I can't say i'm getting more optimistic about the whole european union.
                            It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Originally posted by Zulu Elephant
                              Still waiting for some African tribe to claim that if they hadn't stopped that lion, none of us would be alive today.
                              dont you cut my smillies from my quotes!

Comment

Working...
                              X