Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And in the midst of all this New Orleans reporting, let's not forget that the coast of Mississippi is altered drastically..
    Biloxi, for one, has been taken to the ground in many areas.
    Last edited by SlowwHand; September 1, 2005, 19:15.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• They keep mentioning the Convention Center. That's not the Super Dome, is it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Winston
        They keep mentioning the Convention Center. That's not the Super Dome, is it?
        Nope. Different site. There are at least 20K at the convention center and 30K at the superdome. That doesn't include people still trapped in their homes and buildings.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Thanks.

Comment

• There is also people trapped on Interstate 10 as well.
            Donate to the American Red Cross.
            Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

• And who knows how many people trapped in Southern Louisiana, and God only knows how many dead.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand
                That won't be very long footage if they handle it properly.

New Orleans in Anarchy With Fights, Rapes

By ALLEN G. BREED, Associated Press Writer
                7 minutes ago

When some hospitals try to airlift patients, Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Cheri Ben-Iesan said, "there are people just taking potshots at police and at helicopters, telling them, `You better come get my family.'"
                I guess rationality goes out the window when people get desperate. After all, shooting means that the recuers will avoid you until they can get armed guards
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Eli
                  If you take the first chart which shows 9 hurricanes in a period of 4 years and assume an identical rate, you will have an expected number of 22-23 hurricanes during this decade. Well above the average.
                  Why would you assume an identical rate for the rest of the decade, particularly with systems as chaotic as hurricanes? We could have 22-23 hurricanes this decade. Then again, we might have seen the worst of it and only have a handful for the rest of the decade. There's no way to know, which is why the data from 2000-2004 isn't very useful at this point. There's no way to extrapolate a long term trend from four years worth of data.

The important point of the graph was that it demonstrates the long term decline in hurricane numbers and strength from the 1950's on. This period was supposedly one in which global warming was gaining strength and raising temperatures at an increasing rate. If global warming was in full swing, yet hurricanes have been in decline for decades, what does that tell you about the effect global warming has had on hurricanes?

That's not who DT used to support his position. It was a blogger called GEA 3 or something like that.

The only reason I linked to that particular blog is that he had the official government data put into a graph that is easy to comprehend for people like you.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Actually, the chart says nothing useful the way it is organized. They could easily have broken it down int seasons or four years blocks, whatever. The chose a way of effectively negating four of the worst years in history.

Comment

• I think decades are a pretty logical and generally accepted way to break down time. I just noticed Ming's warning, though, so we should probably nix this discussion.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• This is utterly horrible. Why isn't more being done to help these people who are without food and without water?! Can't anything be done? It's been 3 days!
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          Actually, the chart says nothing useful the way it is organized. They could easily have broken it down int seasons or four years blocks, whatever. The chose a way of effectively negating four of the worst years in history.
                          Now why would they do that...?

And after doing that they still shoot themselves in the foot regarding this decade and made you look silly at the same time, as a number of us have already pointed out...

Apparently I read somewhere that things are set to get worse until 2015 or something like that...

Point is that the hurricane seasons do seem to be cyclical, that global warming isn't the main factor in their occurence - but it does appear to be a significant contributing factor...

Edit:x-post
                          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            This is utterly horrible. Why isn't more being done to help these people who are without food and without water?! Can't anything be done? It's been 3 days!
                            I'm sorry I can't answer you...

Originally posted by Ming
                            NO MORE POLITICAL CRAP IN THIS THREAD...
                            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                              I think decades are a pretty logical and generally accepted way to break down time. I just noticed Ming's warning, though, so we should probably nix this discussion.
                              Or move it.

Comment

• I just saw the Director of FEMA tell Paula Zahn that the Federal Government did not even know about the refugees in the convention center until today.

I can not ****ing believe this.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X