Pay Up, Deadbeats!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS
    Why doesn't Canada just go the market-based fee approach, like the US has suggested? It would take away a crutch from Portman on this issue.
    a) We shouldn't have to. We're not going to roll over and play dead just because its been suggested to us. Rein in your ****ing protectionist lobbies already.

b) The method of selling logging rights is something that's up to the provinces themselves.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Good question. If you know anything about the lumber industry in Canada, you will see why. The stumpage tariff at least in British Columbia subsidises one part of the industry at the expense of the other. BC has two logging industries, coastal and interior. The coast harvests wood like Cedar and other hardwoods. The interior, where I am from harvests softwoods like pine, spruce, fir, etc. The problem is that the terrain on the coast makes it difficult to harvest timber, and the volumes of production on the coast are not enough for most businesses to make money.

So the provincial government came up with this idea of stumpage to ensure that coastal logging could operate, at the expense of lumber producers in the interior. Stumpage usually isn't a big issue, since the folks in the interior make a considerable amount of money. So the reality is that stumpage helps the Americans compete against Canadian softwood lumber, since it raises their costs.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Why is it that our government, given a 'toolbox' of policy options, will sooooo often opt for the most boneheaded one??

Anyone wanna field this one?
        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
          Why is it that our government, given a 'toolbox' of policy options, will sooooo often opt for the most boneheaded one??

Which policy options would those be?
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

They've already been discussed in the thread (a little), WRT 'pressurizing' the americanos, i.e. some kind of concrete action, or at least the credible threat of concrete action, or at least the discussion of the consequences of concrete action, instead of Option B: picking up ball, going home, pouting.
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Uh...such as threatening tariffs?
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'd say if they continue playing by their own rules (this just isn't a Canada-US issue), international sanctions should be imposed. See how they like that
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker

I don't see where Canada has a lot of options, and no good ones besides.

As the OP states, the trade between the US and Canada is huge and mostly hassle-free. Why would Canada want to jeopardize that?
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

We don't.

But we also want a fair shake, and I'm watching the Grits actually grow a pair on this one...
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

I don't see where Canada has a lot of options, and no good ones besides.
                      Lowering the flow of crude would be a very effective tool - particularly now.

As the OP states, the trade between the US and Canada is huge and mostly hassle-free. Why would Canada want to jeopardize that?
                      Lumber is a huge industry in some parts of this country.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X