Koizumi dissolves parliament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koizumi dissolves parliament

Never thought the old guy had the balls to do such a thing. Very refreshing change in Japan over the last couple of years.

I laughed heartily at the Japan Post quote about dictatorship. Pretty amazing what people will say and do when iron rice bowls are threatened.

From FT...

Koizumi dissolves parliament after post defeat
    By David Pilling in Tokyo
    Published: August 8 2005 06:33 | Last updated: August 8 2005 11:29

graphicJapanese prime minister Junichiro Koizumi has dissolved parliament, paving the way for a snap election in September, after a key postal privatisation bill was rejected in an upper house vote on Monday.

Mr Koizumi, who said he would prefer to “be killed” than give up his hopes of privatising the post office, got the approval to dissolve the lower house of parliament at an emergency cabinet meeting held after the vote. Such a move means a general election must be held within 40 days.

Monday’s vote highlighted how widely Mr Koizumi’s ruling Liberal Democratic party is divided over the postal reform. The bill - the centrepiece of Mr Koizumi’s reform agenda - was defeated by 125 votes to 108, an unexpectedly wide margin. Twenty-two LDP members voted against the bill and eight abstained. It would have been defeated if just 18 LDP legislators voted against.

Immediately after the parliament vote, senior LDP members tried to persuade Mr Koizumi to resign with his cabinet, clearing the way for the election of a new LDP president and hence prime minister. Several LDP politicians also criticised what they described as Mr Koizumi’s illogical determination to dissolve the lower house because of a vote taken in the upper chamber.

The cabinet is due to hold another meeting later Monday to set the date for the election.

Takao Toshikawa, editor of InsideLine, a political newsletter, said Mr Koizumi was convinced he could go to the country and return with a fresh mandate to push his privatisation through.

But the opposition Democratic Party of Japan will see the election as a big chance to seize power for the first time.

Japan’s Nikkei 225 stock average fell 1 per cent before the vote, but rose immediately after the bill was rejected to 11788.98, up 0.1 per cent on the day.

The bill’s fate was sealed when senior LDP members came out against the privatisation. There were also bitter complaints against Mr Koizumi’s political style, which flies in the face of Japan’s traditional consensus decision-making process.

Kobo Inamura, until his retirement this year a senior executive at Japan Post, said: “The extreme market fundamentalists have received a big blow. There was even the odour of rising dictatorship by the prime minister, threatening the free decision-making at the lower house.”

Opponents of privatisation argue that it would threaten what they say is Japan's most beloved and secure institution. It would also sever a traditional, though unofficial, source of finance and vote-gathering that has helped keep the LDP in almost unbroken power for the half century since it was founded.

Yoshiro Mori, former prime minister and Mr Koizumi’s political mentor, has turned against his protégé in recent days. “The prime minister's stubborn stance makes us feel that we should no longer rely on him to head the government,” he said last week.

LDP heavyweights fear that an election could split the party, with those who voted against privatisation in the lower house facing the possibility of expulsion. Heizo Takenaka, minister in charge of postal reform, said defeat was a "big loss" for the economy. Legislators had voted for big government over the efficiency of the market, he said.

Mr Koizumi has argued that privatising the post office would liberate Y350,000bn ($3,200bn) of savings and insurance premium funds that could be funnelled more efficiently through the private sector. He has also said privatisation would slim down the state by removing one-third of all public employees from government payrolls.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Did he use hydrochloric acid?
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The pen is mightier than the beaker!
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Yay, the free markeeters have been defeated!
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

'Japanese civilization destroyed by Japanese'
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

They shouldn't privatize it, but cancel the government guarantees to the Postal Office.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Do you know of any government bank whose assets aren't guaranteed by the government?

Comment

This might very well backfire on him.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Privatizing the postal service?

I highly doubt that this will spin off into a dictatorship like that person at the Japan Post said...

But I do support rearming Japan.
                  Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                  Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                  *****Citizen of the Hive****
                  "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Do you know of any government bank whose assets aren't guaranteed by the government?

A commercial bank? All Israeli banks, when they weren't private.

Well, to be precise, the government bailed out even the private banks at one time, but that was for the fear that the the entire banking system was about to crash.
                    Last edited by Az; August 8, 2005, 16:09.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

A government bank is by definition not private. Do you know of any government bank whose assets aren't guaranteed by the government?

Comment

Yeah, sorry about that. I meant weren't private.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

He has also said privatisation would slim down the state by removing one-third of all public employees from government payrolls.
                          Cool. Good for Japan. No wonder his plan faces such heavy opposition, but it seems a necessary step to reform.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I still don't know why this is deemed like a naturally good thing.

YAY LESS GOVT JOBS. again, why? especially since it seems likely that the enterprise, if incorporated, would be profitable, and competitive... So then it slims down to this: neoliberal Religion. True religion. Makes capitalism supporters calling commies religious really funny, since while it may seem that communists ditch utility in the face of their stated goals, such as equality, and justice, capitalism supporters often ditch their own stated goals, efficiency, just because it happens not to happen in the same way their "prophets" said it would.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Simply put, it will allow the people who are now working for the government to find other jobs that will utilize their skills more fully. Japan has rather low unemployment, so these workers should be able to find good work otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                              X