Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apparently, Bush-haters are weak-willed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently, Bush-haters are weak-willed...

...and can't follow through on their promises.

By David Ljunggren

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canadians can put away those extra welcome mats -- it seems Americans unhappy about the result of last November's presidential election have decided to stay at home after all.

In the days after President Bush won a second term, the number of U.S. citizens visiting Canada's main immigration Web site shot up sixfold, prompting speculation that unhappy Democrats would flock north.

But official statistics show the number of Americans actually applying to live permanently in Canada fell in the six months after the election.

On the face of it this is not good news -- Canada is one of the few major nations seeking to attract immigrants -- but Immigration Minister Joe Volpe was philosophical.

"We'll take talent from wherever it is resident in the world. I was absolutely elated to see the number of hits and then my staff said 'You know what? A hit on the Internet is after all just a hit'," he told Reuters on Thursday.

"I guess I'm happy Republicans and Democrats have found a way to live together in peace and in harmony," he said.

Canada generally tilts more to the social and political left than the United States.

Data from the main Canadian processing center in Buffalo, NY shows that in the six months up to the U.S. election there were 16,266 applications from people seeking to live in Canada, a figure that fell to 14,666 for the half year after the vote.

A spokeswoman for Canada's federal immigration ministry declined to speculate on the reasons for the drop.

Toby Condliffe, who heads the Canadian chapter of Democrats Abroad, did have an explanation of sorts.

"I can only assume the Americans who checked out the Web site subsequently checked out our winter temperatures and further took note that the National Hockey League was being locked out and had second thoughts," he told Reuters.

Last year, Canada, which has a population of about 32 million, accepted 235,808 immigrants from all over the world.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

My take on this story is - Canada's so bad that even with another 4 years of Bush people aren't leaving the US to live there.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

Don't forget that Canada is, not surprisingly really, the USA's 2nd biggest thorn in the side, after Mexican wet backs.
      Holier than thou attitiude only sstretches so far.

Other than that people wold be , ummm, pooping purple bricks if had to deal with the fallout of either Gore the idiot, or Kerry the war veteran liar as president.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

MikeH: That's what Toby Condliffe of Democrats Abroad implied. He's some guest to talk ill of his hosts like that.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

We'll take talent from wherever it is resident in the world
          Poor desperate Canada...
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Pooping purple bricks.

Comment

Hey, I can't say ****ting, you know.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                Don't forget that Canada is, not surprisingly really, the USA's 2nd biggest thorn in the side, after Mexican wet backs.

Other than that people wold be , ummm, pooping purple bricks if had to deal with the fallout of either Gore the idiot, or Kerry the war veteran liar as president.
                No matter how bad they might have been, surely they couldn't have ****ed stuff up as much as it currently is?
                Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

It's not an attitude. They are holier than thou.
                  Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                  -Richard Dawkins

Comment

now that is funny - I cant begin to think what is soooo bad about Canada, that i would even hesitate to emigrate

But then i dont know Canada........but i do know Bush(bless him).

So what is so bad about Canada?
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

better than the dumbass redneck racists, or the entire state of Texas... the ******* of america
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

it shares a common border with the US.
                        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

better than the dumbass redneck racists, or the entire state of Texas... the ******* of america
                          Ahhh, Sava. I was wondering about you. Good to know you're still around
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                            Holy bat****, Batman! It's SAVA!

We missed you, buddy!
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

heheh thanks, I had to take a break from online forums for a while...
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X