X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flirting at work does not pay?

Does it pay to be a flirt?

Report says women in the workplace who use sexual behavior may not get that next promotion or raise.
    August 5, 2005: 10:59 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Flirting at the office is not only taboo, but it could even take a toll on your financial future.

Women who cross their legs provocatively, wear short skirts or massage a man's shoulders at work get fewer pay raises and promotions, according to Friday's USA Today.

The newspaper, citing a Tulane University study, said 49 percent of MBA graduates polled admitted that they have tried to advance in their careers by sometimes engaging in certain sexual behaviors, including sending flirty e-mails and wearing revealing clothing.

The respondents who said they never engaged in such activity earned an average of three promotions, versus two for the group that had employed sexuality. Those who said they never used sexuality were, on average, in the $75,000-$100,000 income range; the other group fell, on average, into the next range, $50,000 to $75,000.

Tulane professor Arthur Brief said the study suggests that women should be careful about letting men open doors or lift boxes that aren't particularly heavy, because chivalry is "benevolent sexism."

"We argue that there are negative consequences for women who use sexuality in the workplace," Brief told the newspaper.

The 164 women in the study ranged in age from their mid-20s to 60.

I think this is a classic case of mizing up cause and effect. Maybe the flirts felt they had to do so because there were less talented at business?
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

damn non-descriptive thread titles....
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

yeah.

Comment

Everyone knows it's an inverse bell curve...once you get under the desk, then the number of promotions begins to skyrocket.
          If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

guys who flirt at work face possible sexual harrassment suits. As for women flirting, I'm not sure if it helps them get promotions. Only if they are pretty I suspect.

Comment

and good point about them being less talented, I was going to say the same thing.

But I then I thought the flirting was supposed to make up for it.

It would be a better study if we could show we had 2 workers of equal performance and one who flirts and one who doesn't.

As it is now, it probably is the prettier (which probably means they aren't as smart ) women who flirt to try to make up for their work deficiencies. As the study shows, it does not make up for them.

Comment

I also wonder was the age range and education of the flirts and non flirts controlled for. Otherwise you end up like those studies that say the average man makes 20K more than the average woman in the "same job" but doesn't consider taht the average man in the job is 10 years more experienced
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

in my work place we all men and women walk up behind somebody and massage their shoulders. none of us are in a position of power but, we dont see it as flirting. But unless you have worked in the operating room you wouldnt know the details. The place is a self in its own
                  When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                  "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                  Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Yer a nurse.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                    X