No announcement yet.

The triumph of mediocrity and the American League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope, that's why they play 162 games rather than 90 .

The Nationals have been extremely lucky. They are now coming back down to Earth. If they are smart they'll get some hitters before the trade deadline so that they aren't giving up more runs than they score.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The Nationals are being Expoed.
      What?

Comment

They play 162 games because they can sell tickets to 162 games and the players can do that many games without undue injury.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It also tends to minimize luck, as the Nationals have experienced in the first half of the season. They probably will end up at or above .500, but they aren't making the playoffs.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

We shall see. Certainly, you and I don't have any special insight into how they will do.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

American League isn't real ball.

I'll give a **** when they drop the designated hitter rule.
              B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                We shall see. Certainly, you and I don't have any special insight into how they will do.
                Yes we shall, but if the Nats don't hit, they won't be going anywhere.

Comment

Well duh, dude.

Comment

Imran, where can you find each team's Pythagorean record?
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      Well duh, dude.
                      Seeing as how they have't been hitting (LAST in the NL in runs, second to last in OPS) and how much faith you have in them, you'd be wise to remember the 'duh'

Guy:

Visit ESPN for the complete 2024 MLB season standings. Includes league, conference and division standings for regular season and playoffs.

Look at the last column (ExWL). That's based on the Pythagorian record.

Comment

Hmmm... so the Tigers would still be four out of the playoffs, only trailing the BoSox, as the Blue Jays (!) would be in first in the AL East. Interesting.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

The Blue Jays are a better team than most folks think. They had no hitting for a long part in May and June, and are just starting to get their hitting back.

If they had Halliday, they'd be in contention.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Good riddance to that useless *****.
                            Interesting to see how much better the pitchers do when pitching for a real team. Just look at Carpenter now.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Dude, they are only 5 games out. What do you think 'in contention' means anyway!

Comment

First or second in their division, and not fourth...

Comment

Working...
                                X