Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mac wireless internet question and help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac wireless internet question and help.

Ok Heres the thing. My kid is part of a school that gave them laptops for the years of hi school. The problem I am faced with at this moment is the thing is a mac. The notebook is a ibookG4 I have no knowledge on macs all my computers are the PCs. My problem i suscribe to dsl and have a modem at home. The modem is picked up by the mac but every time i try to put in the sn to open the network it wont let me. I know it works for i use the wireless connection for my laptop. Any help would be great thanks.
    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

[Asher]
    Well if your son wasn't going to some philosopher artsy school, and instead was going to get a real education, he would have been provided with a REAL computer.
    [/Asher]

Try the following link:

Specifically,

Also

Comment

Maybe this well help

1. Get this information from your ISP or network administrator:
      * Domain Name Server (DNS) addresses.
      * Whether you should choose DHCP or manual IP address configuration, which will be done in Step 6 below.

For manual configuration only:
      * IP address
      * Router address
      * Subnet mask

Tip: Your ISP or local network may provide DNS addresses automatically.

2. From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
      3. From the View menu, choose Network.
      4. Choose Built-in Ethernet from the Show pop-up menu (the Configure pop-up menu prior to Mac OS X 10.1).
      5. Click the TCP/IP tab, if necessary.
      6. Choose either Manually or Using DHCP from the Configure pop-up menu, as you were instructed by your ISP in Step 1.
      7. Type the other information you gathered in Step 1 into the matching fields. Unless your ISP instructs you otherwise, you can ignore the DHCP Client ID field and the Search Domains field.
      8. Click Apply Now.
      9. Open a Web browser or other TCP/IP application to test your connection to the Internet.

Comment

Thanks ill try that im not sure if it will work but i will. this notebook finds my home portal modem but it wont take the password which on my other non mac pc is the serial number to the modem
        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

You are using a wireless router that is plugged into your modem,right?

Comment

Turn on Airport.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

I'm assume she doesn't have an airport, but a regular cable modem, like from Motorola.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

no agathon is right i am trying to go thru airport it wont take the password

Comment

Awesome. Aggie to the rescue!
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

we have a dsl modem. Airport is turned on, it just doesn't seem to like the password.

This is Tubes,btw.

ACK!

Comment

the laptop then ask me the wep password which I assume is the serial number from my modem since that is how it worked with my laptop that is not a mac

Comment

So I put in this pass word then it tells me there is an error trying to join this network

Comment

Have you called your DSL provider?
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Some routers are basically Windows only. That might be the problem.

Make sure you have set up the Airport like so. Presumably, you'd want to choose WEP not WPA.
                            Attached Files
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

would i need to if the 4 other non mac pcs are connected and being used right now?? Im new to this my non mac picked up and i didnt need to call i guess i can try that

Comment

Working...
                              X