Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" out tomorrow!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And senile

Comment

• Originally posted by Verto

OK, so I Americanized the title. Cut me some slack like the man said. I mean it's not like Rawling is Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Joyce or any others among the number of great English or American authors of the 20th century.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

OK, so I Americanized the title. Cut me some slack like the man said. I mean it's not like Rawling is Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Joyce or any others among the number of great English or American authors of the 20th century.
        Yeah, she writes books that people actually read.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• Okay, so who eats it in Book 7?

I think the only locks are Hagrid and Riddle.

I think the only lock to survive is Luna--she's too much fun for the readers and for the writer.

Everyone else is up in the air. I think odds are particularly grim for Harry, Snape, Arthur and/or Molly, Pettigrew, LeStrange, and Greyback.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer
            Brilliant. Positively brilliant.
            I agree. Ollivander's disappearance has great promise for some interesting plot twists.

Remember in 1, where he goes "Voldy was great; evil, but great" and Harry is freaked out? I liked him just for that comment.

Comment

• The other theory for Ollivander is that he is a Slytherin that Voldy wants to join him (perhaps a relation?), but instead of joining up, Ollivander decides to hit the roa.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• It's Dumbledore. Hermione is safe.

Yeah, but Hermione might as well be dead, given that Rowling has cruelly given the love of her life to another woman...
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• MASSIVE SPOILERS

Comment

• I had my doubts when I finished the book on Saturday, but having given it some thought (and having read a few forums on the topic), I now hold out hopes that Snape was acting on Dumbledore's orders. Snape is one of my favorite characters, and I've always appreciated that Rowling demonstrated that there can be good guys who are absolute, utter pricks. So, I still have hopes for Snape.

However, this then dilutes one of the most important lessons Rowling has given - that even the wisest, cleverest, most experienced person you know can be completely, 100% wrong about some things, that even the smartest person can be fooled, and that emotion often leads to wrong decisions. This is a huge, harsh, but necessary lesson to learn, and if Snape was following through with D's orders, that changes a lot.

And did anyone else think the preceding chapter, where Harry is forced to make Dumbledore drink the bowl's contents, is even harder to read (emotionally) than D's death? Dumbledore moaning, screaming, weeping in fear and pain, while Harry makes him continue to drink the potion... devastating. Hints of what it is to care for one's elderly parents? And then the Inferi wake... jeez. Great stuff.

I've said it before, I kind of pity those who refuse to read these beooks merely because they're "children's" stories. Rowling is wonderful and deserves all the acclaim and wealth she's earned.

Comment

• I wish the Dementors were in the book. Apart from anything else, there's a strange reference to them breeding... which suggests that they can be killed.

Comment

• I'm sure they can be killed. If not then Voldemort's army would have been unstoppable, even without Voldemort at the head.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Does anyone have any idea how many GB a Harry Potter book would take up? I know they differ in size, but perhaps someone has put one of them on their MP3 player?

Comment

• Hmmmm... you know... let me check if iTunes has it. They can tell me how long the audiobook would be, I think.

Comment

• Hmm... they didn't have it... but instead I present you with this:

Comment

Working...
                                X