Hmong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmong

IIRC the Hmong fought in the 'Nam War on South Vietnam-US side and they were punished for it in the post-bellum years for their efforts resulting in them fleeing to Thailand.

My question is - do Americans have moral obligation to help them out? After all if the war ended in favor of South Vietnam, the Hmong's fate may be different.

OTOH, Vietnamese never really liked Hmong anyway so it might won't make that much of a difference anyway.

Hmong Forced Out Of Homes In Thailand

By Rungrawee C. Pinyorat
    Associated Press
    Wednesday, July 6, 2005; A09

HUAY NAM KHAO, Thailand, July 5 -- Soaked by rain, thousands of poor ethnic Hmong refugees from Laos were living without shelter in northern Thailand on Tuesday, forced from their homes under a Thai campaign to pressure them to return to their native land.

Landlords in this village said the government set a Monday deadline for them to evict the estimated 6,500 refugees from their bamboo shelters, threatening locals with prison or fines of up to $1,200 for sheltering the Hmong, considered by Thailand to be illegal immigrants.

Thai officials also instructed vendors not to sell food to the refugees, including children, camped out since late Monday by the roadside in Huay Nam Khao, village leaders said.

"They have no place to stay, no place to cook. How can they stand the heat and rain?" asked Sawai Leeprecha, a Thai-Hmong village leader.

Some of the Hmong demonstrated Tuesday outside a government office near the village, located in Phetchabun province about 185 miles north of the Thai capital, Bangkok. But most clustered in groups along the road carrying reed mats and plastic sheeting.

"The Hmong would like to call for the United Nations to help us survive," said Jongli Saeloh, 43. "I would rather die here than be sent back to Laos."

A sign on a fence read: "Please help, we're very hungry."

During the Vietnam War era, the Hmong in Laos helped U.S. forces fight communist insurgents. After the communists took control of Laos in 1975, many Hmong fled, fearing persecution.

Although pressure on the Hmong has eased, military operations against small bands of Hmong insurgents in Laos continue and tensions persist.
    Yes, Americans do
    41.67%
    No, Life is cruel - suck it up and deal with it.
    25.00%
    Nah let UN take care of it
    16.67%
    Airlift some crates of bananas of love and peace
    16.67%
    Who is Barinthus?

The U.S. does not have an ethical duty to support them. We were allies. The war is over. We each go our own way.

However, that doesn't mean it isn't wise to support them. When we go to the aid of our allies, previous allies, potential allies, etc., it makes the prospect of being a US ally more attractive. When we ignore them as they go down the drain, the message we send is why risk it.

Comment

I actually read a book on the hmong in my anthro class. I think we should help them out - it's a very interesting culture and it would be a shame to see it die.
      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
      Drake Tungsten
      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
      Albert Speer

Comment

I don't think we have to help them, but it would be a good idea.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
          I don't think we have to help them, but it would be a good idea.
          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

We used them so we owe them. Besides, abandoning allies is bad politics.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

IIRC I believe Americans let Hmongs settle somewhere in the midwest/rocky area, Montana comes to mind years ago. So shall we open doors to the rest?
              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Barinthus
                IIRC I believe Americans let Hmongs settle somewhere in the midwest/rocky area, Montana comes to mind years ago. So shall we open doors to the rest?
                They come to Fresno, CA. That's where I live. Some of them go to Minn.

Hmongs are pretty good people. They have a tough time here sometimes though with culture shock.

A new wave of them just came from Thialand. The're overwelming our services for the poor here, and the services were already overwelmed. Still they've done more for this country than any other of those fat ass Americans so why shouldn't they deserve it.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Barinthus
                  If we remember that incident in which one hunter shot a bunch of others, the shooter was Hmong...its sad that's the only thing I have ever heard on the TV about the US Hmong community.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Interesting. Not a mention by a poster that the Hmong are Christian, and that Christians don't fare too well in a communist state.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Actually, the fact that they Christian should make no difference in whether we should help them or not.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

That is very true. However, when mono speaks of interesting culture, and no mention that they are Christian, it makes me wonder why no one has made a comment in passing.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

They're christian? I'd like to change my vote, then. They shouldn't be helped.
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                            That is very true. However, when mono speaks of interesting culture, and no mention that they are Christian, it makes me wonder why no one has made a comment in passing.
                            Because not all Hmong are Christian, IIRC, and it doesn't exactly define who they are, either. Sure, it's a big part of a lot of them, but it's like saying that the French or German culture is Christian. Hell, there are a lot of Korean Christians, but I wouldn't necessarily note as one of the earlier orders of business when talking about how interesting their culture is.

There's a huge Yes, But there, Ben.
                            B♭3

Comment

Helping the Hmong:

We have a lot of them here in MN, especially in Minneapolis. Fargo-Moorhead also has a good sized population.

Comment

Working...
                              X