Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do you know about Rugby League?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

Oh, absolutely. You've only got to glance at the snobbish, effete homelands of Union in the Welsh Valleys, or the spectacularly rich county of Cornwall, haven't you?
    Its affirmative action for celts
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

League is easier to understand, but less rewarding to watch in the long run because the play is far more predictable - running/passing then tackle and running and passing...repeat after 6 tackles. Rugby Union players will have far more options available to them at any given point in the game than will a League player.
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

that's pure BS - union players seem to have only one option - if in doubt, kick a goal

Union would be a much better game if field goals were reduced to one point so teams had to score tries to win instead of relying on a pair of golden boots.

I like both codes - in other areas union has improved a lot over recent years - remarkably so - through the rule and refereeing changes that encouraged more phases of play. Its much more enjoyable now. In the 70's it was simply dreadful most of the time, with the occasional stand out memorable game - Wales versus the Lions, the Barbarian games.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Do you see us invading your threads?
          Yes.

What a strange thing to post given your habit of doing exactly that.

But relax - the thread is all yours now.
          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
            Ah - um - yes. I might have borrowed it ever so slightly.
            Fifty Euros, thanks!
            " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
            "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
              that's pure BS - union players seem to have only one option - if in doubt, kick a goal
              Rubbish. A league player's options are either pass or run...unless the six tackles are up, in which case they hoof the ball as far downfield as they can - no need for accuracy either, they just have to kick it as hard as they can. Meanwhile, union players have tons of options - kick a grubber ahead and try to regather, kick a bomb, kick for touch, kick a drop goal, pass, run, or set up a rolling maul.

Union would be a much better game if field goals were reduced to one point so teams had to score tries to win instead of relying on a pair of golden boots.
              How often do teams win games because of a "pair of golden boots" - hardly ever. And if they do then good on them because a great kicker won't win a game without a good team behind him.

I like both codes - in other areas union has improved a lot over recent years - remarkably so - through the rule and refereeing changes that encouraged more phases of play. Its much more enjoyable now. In the 70's it was simply dreadful most of the time, with the occasional stand out memorable game - Wales versus the Lions, the Barbarian games.
              From what I've seen (didn't watch much union pre-1995) that seems to be true. The era of professionalism has definitely sped the game up.
              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Working...
              X