Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do you know about Rugby League?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snobbery? Maybe in Australia.

It simply balls down to a personal preference - do you want a game with competition for the ball or a game without it?
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
      League is simpler and more fun to watch.
      A good summary, but are you describing the rules, the players or the fans?
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Re: How much do you know about Rugby League?

Originally posted by Park Avenue
        The only sport that probably comes close is Australian Rules Footie.

Shows how much Australian Rules you watch.

As anyone knows the 'game' of Rules is just a way of keeping sociopaths and psychopaths busy at the weekend.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
          From a Union player's point of view, League is very stereotypical running into opponent hoping they'll miss the tackle.
          Er no, the main idea is to avoid the opponent by skilful running and well timed passes. What you are talking about is straight running aka "hitups" by forwards to gain field position for the late set scoring plays in each set of 6.

And there's beauty in Union's mauls.
          Only if you like sniffing another man's bottom
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Snobbery? Maybe in Australia.
            There's definitely snobbery over here. Many media outlets fail to even report it, despite attendances of 20000+ and yet devote regular six page spreads to union. It's snobbery because it's a northern sport.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Quite right too.

ps. Castleford - top of the league!
              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue

There's definitely snobbery over here. Many media outlets fail to even report it, despite attendances of 20000+ and yet devote regular six page spreads to union. It's snobbery because it's a northern sport.
                also because its linked with the grammar school system and the league broke away from union because the league players wanted to be paid to play when this was considered ungentlemanly.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

I'll watch Castleford when they are on tele but I've never really got into it as a game.

Rugby Union I really enjoy but League just doesn't do it for me. It's too stop start, I know Union breaks down a lot but it's not the same.

Neither of them are a patch on football (soccer) though, obviously.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

obviously....

Comment

Hey, what do you Aussies know about sport anyway.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

I know we have a crap football team.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                          Hey, what do you Aussies know about sport anyway.

Pommie baiting and cultural cringing- two national Australian sports.
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Can you use culture in a sentence with Australian and not use the words devoid of somewhere in it?
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                              Can you use culture in a sentence with Australian and not use the words devoid of somewhere in it?
                              I would reply to this question with an unsavoury attack on both your manhood and nationality... but I'm too cultured to do so.

Comment

That's a no then.
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X