Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do you know about Rugby League?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QED!
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

What's the difference between Rugby Union rules and Rugby League rules? AFAIK, over here we have only played Rugby Union as an organized sport.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

League is simpler and more fun to watch.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Park Avenue

An American Football player wouldn't last two seconds in Rugby League.

(BTW, we won )
          Why do people always make this type you camparision? Rugby League players wouldn't last two minutes in heavyweight boxing...it's still irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Dracon II
            My flatmate has offered his description of American Football.

Basically it involves being soft, intellectually challenged, and taking a break every five seconds.
            At the turn of the 19th century, American rules football was considered a great deal more violent than Rugby Union, at least.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              At the turn of the 19th century, American rules football was considered a great deal more violent than Rugby Union, at least.
              That was before pads.
              Smile
              For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
              But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                What's the difference between Rugby Union rules and Rugby League rules? AFAIK, over here we have only played Rugby Union as an organized sport.
                League is closer to American Football.

In rugby league, when you get tackled, you start again, and notch up 1 on the tackle counter. When it gets to 5, the ball is turned over. In rugby union, when you get tackled, a ruck or maul forms around the tackle as both teams fight for the ball.

That's the main difference, rugby league is stops and starts, rugby union is left to flow. The scorings slightly different - in union a try is 5, a drop goal or penalty kick 3 and a conversion 2; in league a try is 4 and a drop goal, penalty kick or conversion is 2, IIRC. Also, League has always been professional, whereas Union was amateur for a long time. And the ball's are slightly different, with League's being shorter and fatter like an American football, compared to Union's.

In Australia, NZ and South Africa both are pretty big, whereas in the Northern Hemisphere only Union is a large sport, though League is one of the fastest growing in the UK.
                Last edited by Drogue; July 5, 2005, 04:57.
                Smile
                For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

That was before a lot of rule changes. FYI, NFL players are now getting rid of many of their pads.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the rundown. Sounds somewhat like old Harvard rules football.

Comment

its a much faster game than union, where the play always breaks down
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

a drop goal

Is only one point in League

with League's being shorter and fatter like an American football, compared to Union's.

Union balls are fatter less pointy than League balls

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                          its a much faster game than union, where the play always breaks down
                          Yeah, too many of those lame line throw-ins.

When I first saw Union I thought they were idiots because they kept on kicking the ball into touch.

Comment

I think league is the superior game if you look at the 2 games objectively without all the snobbery about union.

The best team almost always wins in a league game, its an exciting fast game, whereas I don't think you can say the same for union.

A set of 6 tackles in league takes about 30 seconds so in an average game of 80 minutes you get about 150 sets of 6 plays, that's 900 plays in 80 minutes - taking into account stoppages for tries and kicks and scrums - a lot of footy action in one game. The players do half a marathon in running alone.
                            Last edited by Alexander's Horse; July 3, 2005, 22:50.
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

From a Union player's point of view, League is very stereotypical running into opponent hoping they'll miss the tackle.
                              And there's beauty in Union's mauls. If you really want a spectacular game, consider sevens. It's way more entertaining to watch than either Union (15 players)or League (13 players), as there is far more available space and many more tries than in either of the bigger games.
                              Clash of Civilization team member
                              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

7 player rugby is actually fun to watch.
                                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X