Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canpol: an openly homosexual prime minister?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canpol: an openly homosexual prime minister?

I don't know if there's already a thread about this. Bernard Landry, the leader of the Parti Québecois, stepped down. Who will succeed him? The best candidate they have right now is André Boiclair. He looks good, so the women will vote for him. The only problem I see is that he's openly homosexual. Personally, I have nothing against a gay premier. But I don't think people will vote for an homosexual. Friends of mine told me: people are more open than you think. Thats bs. So I think he made an error when he publicly came out. And the PQ would make an error IMO if they elected him as their leader.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Nostromo; June 29, 2005, 16:34.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Its an even bigger mistake if they elect Pauline Marois.

Ain't NOBODY like her.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

That's true. So basically its a lose-lose situation. If the PQ elects Marois, they'll lose the next elections; and if they elect Boisclair, they'll also lose them...
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Thread should be titled "QuebecPol".

"Prime Minister" in a "CanPol" thread means something different than you are talking about...

As to the topic - Isn't Quebec supposed to be out front of the nation WRT these attitudes? Would being openly gay be that much of a roadblock?
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

i agree on the QuebecPol part, but considering the French Media refer to the Premier of Quebec as "Le Premier Ministre", directly translating to Prime Minister, the subject title DOES make sense to "Un vrai quebecois"

I would vote for a Gay man as readily as I would a Straight man or a woman. And generaly speaking, Parti Quebecois voters are even more liberal than the rest of Quebecers, unless I miss my mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
            i agree on the QuebecPol part, but considering the French Media refer to the Premier of Quebec as "Le Premier Ministre", directly translating to Prime Minister, the subject title DOES make sense to "Un vrai quebecois"
            It makes sense to anybody from quebec. It doesn't make it any more correct when speaking in English, though...
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
              Yes I realize the translation is such and had no trouble understanding the post when I read it although the title led me to believe the topic was something else. No big deal.

I would vote for a Gay man as readily as I would a Straight man or a woman. And generaly speaking, Parti Quebecois voters are even more liberal than the rest of Quebecers, unless I miss my mark.
              Sexual preference would make no difference to me either unless that was the reason the individual entered politics and "gay issues" were their driving concern. In that case I would look hard for options.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Sorry guys, I got lost in translation... How can I edit the thread's title?

Yes, they're liberal, but they're also pragmatic. If they come to the conclusion that quebecers wouldn't vote for an homosexual, they won't elect him as their leader. They want to win, after all. And I'm willing to bet that Pauline Marois will push that point...

Comment

I'd vote for him. I can't stand Pauline Marois.
                  What?

Comment

I wouldn't. I can't stand the PQ.

Not that I like Charest very much...
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

There are 308 seats in the House of Commons. Of those, 75 are in Quebec. For ideological reasons, the Bloc only runs candidates in Quebec.

Let's pretend the Bloc takes 75 seats, Libs take 74 seats, NDP takes 74 seats, Cons take 74 seats, and the Greens take 11 seats. For Boiclair to become PM, he'd have to form a coalition with 154 members. Separatism would be a big stumbling block.

So, [Duceppe] is not likely to become PM any time soon. And I don't think his sexuality will harm him in any way whatsoever.

[Edit: I am an idiot.^-^]
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                        I got lost in translation...

Yes, they're liberal, but they're also pragmatic. If they come to the conclusion that quebecers wouldn't vote for an homosexual, they won't elect him as their leader. They want to win, after all. And I'm willing to bet that Pauline Marois will push that point...
                        I think you're way off here. No one in Quebec would forgive Marois or the media or anybody that brings this up as being an issue.
                        What?

Comment

To be honest, i voted for the ADQ last election.

I was hopeful that they'd actually be.... uhm, a factor.

Comment

Damn, and I thought that Harper or Martin had come out.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Ah, Canadien Politiques, eh?
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X