Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tom Cruise, psychiatry, Matt Drudge, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nostromo

Our folk psychology and scientific psychology are perpetually in conflict. A friend of mine suffers from anxiety disorder. We go see a movie and he leaves after a while. He sweats bullets when he has to go the barber... I heard some people call him a *****, a wuss. Not in his face, of course. But thats what they think of him. They can't seem to understand that its not under his control... The same goes with people who suffer from ADD. Peope say they're lazy, they're dumb...
    My pet gripe is people saying "I dont need meds cause my depression is situational" or "i only need meds, not therapy, cause my depression is biochemical" when AFAIK, theres no scientific dinstinction between the two - all depressions are expressed biochemically in the brain, and can potentially be impacted by drugs, and all depressions are impacted by life situation, ways of thinking, etc.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

And you're being polite...

yes i try

hes an actor and needs to be reminded of that.
      why do some actors get it in their heads that they
      are all the charactors they play. and their egos
      inflate to that proportion... believing that they are
      the end all and know all to all things..
      "If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun." -Katherine Hepburn

Comment

Not to take it off-topic or anything...

But just because he's an actor doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. I mean, Imran is a lawyer but when he talks about movies... hell.

I just pwned myself, didn't I?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

But just because he's an actor doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. I mean, Imran is a lawyer but when he talks about Star Wars... hell.

Corrected
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Imran claimed a couple of days ago not to remember a single line from Pulp Fiction.

No correction needed.

Comment

Originally posted by boann

yes i try

hes an actor and needs to be reminded of that.
              why do some actors get it in their heads that they
              are all the charactors they play. and their egos
              inflate to that proportion... believing that they are
              the end all and know all to all things..

I have never seen a more ludicrous statement. So actors aren't supposed to express their opinions like doctors, lawyers, social workers, or homeless people?

Actors have just as much right to say what they think as anyone else. The only difference is that if a famous actor does it, people listen (partially because the media announces whatever someone with remote fame says.)

If, God willing, I ever become famous, you can bet your ass I'm going to use my fame to influence people, and maybe try to get things accomplished that I and like-minded people want to see.

Oh, and don't forget that Ronald Reagan, Charlton Heston, and Arnold Schwartzenegger were all actors, for those conservatives out there who think "liberal Hollywood" should stay out of politics.
              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Imran claimed a couple of days ago not to remember a single line from Pulp Fiction.
                How can you not remember:

(The mob boss just got buggered)

- Are you alright?

- I'm ****ing far from alright!
                Last edited by Nostromo; June 24, 2005, 14:55.
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous

Oh, and don't forget that Ronald Reagan, Charlton Heston, and Arnold Schwartzenegger were all actors, for those conservatives out there who think "liberal Hollywood" should stay out of politics.
                  somehow that only confirms my opinion that actors should stay out of politics.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

But just because he's an actor doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. I mean, Imran is a lawyer but when he talks about movies... hell.

ok its true that he might know a FEW things about it.
                    im sure the scientology people made sure he could quote a few facts..
                    but the fact remains that just because he is famous doesn't mean everything he says is to be taken as the last word on the subject.
                    and because hes so intrenched in scientology i would
                    not really trust any thing he says on the subject.
                    since one of their big things is replacing therapy
                    with THEIR "therapy"

Comment

"Oh, and don't forget that Ronald Reagan, Charlton Heston, and Arnold Schwartzenegger were all actors, for those conservatives out there who think "liberal Hollywood" should stay out of politics."

like this is supposed to make me feel good ...
                      please...

i don't have any problem with him having or saying his opinon... its a free country...
                      i do have a problem with the fact that his rhetoric is like a fanatical religious person who won't listen or accept any other point of view but his own.

Comment

i do have a problem with the fact that his rhetoric is like a fanatical religious person who won't listen or accept any other point of view but his own.
                        And that has exactly what to do with him being an actor?

Maybe you should take into consideration the possibility that he IS in fact a fanatical religious person.
                        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

And that has exactly what to do with him being an actor?

Maybe you should take into consideration the possibility that he IS in fact a fanatical religious person.

i don't know why you are stuck on this..
                          in my comment i said "some actors"
                          not all actors...

but ill say this again just because he is famous doesn't mean everything he says is to be taken as the last word on the subject.

great.. we agree hes a fanatical religious person.
                          whos an actor... who happens to be on national tv
                          spouting off about things he really probably isn't qualified to preach on.

and the reason its upsetting is that some people will listen to him and might not seek treatment for serious problems...

Comment

How can you not remember:

(The mob boss just got buggered)

- Are you alright?

- I'm ****ing far from alright!
                            i think i'm going to watch it again
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

i don't know why you are stuck on this..
                              Because this is something I have to deal with all the time. "You're an entertainer, entertain"...blah blah. I'm also a person with opinions.

but ill say this again just because he is famous doesn't mean everything he says is to be taken as the last word on the subject.
                              That's not a point we disagree upon. But I know plenty of people (just look around this board) who think they are the be all and know all on issues. I don't know of anyone who would ever say that any famous person is the last word.

great.. we agree hes a fanatical religious person.
                              whos an actor... who happens to be on national tv
                              spouting off about things he really probably isn't qualified to preach on.
                              First, you gotta realize that everyone right now thinks he's INSANE. Second, he's no different from thousands if not millions of people who, for good reasons or bad, preach on things they may not be "qualified" for, famous and not.

and the reason its upsetting is that some people will listen to him and might not seek treatment for serious problems...
                              Well, that is too bad, but does that mean he shouldn't be allowed to say what he thinks?

Comment

Second, he's no different from thousands if not millions of people who, for good reasons or bad, preach on things they may not be "qualified" for, famous and not.
                                But for better or worse, most people are not widely listened to on matters outside their area of competence, to anything nearly the extent that "celebrities" are (Paul Krugman excepted - and id hardly call him a celebrity economist, in the way that JK Galbraith was)

and of course not all celebrities are actors, or even entertainers, nor all actors celebrities. Its the cult of celebrity some of us have problems with, not the profession of acting per se.

Comment

Working...
                                X