No announcement yet.

Toyota raising prices -- japanese business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is capitalism as only the Japanese can imagine it.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Seems to be pwning, though, don't it, and that's the only thing that matters, non?
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Az
        Seems to be pwning, though, don't it, and that's the only thing that matters, non?
        Someday Americans might get it.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
          IIs the better way to deal with that reality to start making the best quality cars in the world, or spew out endless reams of garbage?
          Don't get me wrong. Their cars are now very reliable.

What happens is that the car companies -- GM in particular -- need to differentiate each of their products among all of their other very numerous products. They do this by closely regulating luxury. If you spend on the lower end, you get garbage and find it necessary to move up and spend more. If you spend in the mid-range, you get only slightly better garbage, and look longingly at the luxury models. If you spend on the higher end, you get luxury.

The Japanese carmakers put out fewer products and don't have to differentiate among them quite so much. Because of this, you get more luxury across the product lines.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

American cars are crap. there is no 'luxery' in american cars at less then $45,000. its all plastic garbage.

even the pistons are made out of plastic.
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

there is no 'luxery' in american cars at less then $45,000.
              Well, not quite $45,000, but GM and Ford could put a lot more luxury in their lower end vehicles just fine if they wanted to. But why do that, when it would harm sales of your $45,000 whales?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                This isn't the high road. American consumers are getting shafted!
                OMG!!! consumers getting shafted by the free market!
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

yeah, true.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Don't get me wrong. Their cars are now very reliable.

What happens is that the car companies -- GM in particular -- need to differentiate each of their products among all of their other very numerous products. They do this by closely regulating luxury. If you spend on the lower end, you get garbage and find it necessary to move up and spend more. If you spend in the mid-range, you get only slightly better garbage, and look longingly at the luxury models. If you spend on the higher end, you get luxury.

The Japanese carmakers put out fewer products and don't have to differentiate among them quite so much. Because of this, you get more luxury across the product lines.
                    Yes, and which strategy seems to be working ever so slightly better? And what's the size of the market for luxury compared to that of low- and mid-range?
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

The Japanese strategy works better. And the low and mid-range is where the sales are. It is time for this business model to kill the inferior business model!

GM has as many brands as Toyota has models. And each brand has as many models as Toyota.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon
                        By raising prices, they're throwing the ball to Detroit to prove themselves. They're essentially stating "We are not predators on a mission to crash America's industrial symbols: we just try to make good cars.", which probably is better PR than any kind of aggressive tactic would be.

That's what I meant by "taking the high road."
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

This is capitalism as only the Japanese can imagine it.
                          I agree, American business wouldn't know what a long-term view is if you'd hit it in the face.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Free Trade
                            Protectionism
                            Fair Trade
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Colon
                              I agree, American business wouldn't know what a long-term view is if you'd hit it in the face.
                              American consumers are being victimized by the Japanese long-term managed capitalism view!

Comment

Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
                                haha reversed protectionism LMAO...

japan takes pity on the US...
                                Toyota's bosses are old guys with long memories. In the early 1980's the Japanese automakers made big headway into the US market so Reagan (you remember the Reagan whom the right claimed was free market, right? ) put import controls in place which greatly hurt the Japanese automakers. Toyota's execs are afraid that such a thing could happen again so they're moving by themeselves to head off such action before it happens.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X