Toyota raising prices -- japanese business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota raising prices -- japanese business

Toyota might be raising prices so that GM and Ford will survive, even though GM and Ford are making crappy cars that cost too much damn money.

Toyota is afraid that if it is too successfull, trade barriers will be raised in the US for its and other Japanese carmakers' products. But they already have a good chunk of the market, so it's time for them to finish GM and Ford off, gladiator-style. This ain't Japan and it ain't France. Collusion on pricing to help the weak companies just pisses people off.

Toyota may raise car prices
    Report: The automaker may raise prices on new cars by 2% - 3% out of consideration for U.S. rivals.
    June 10, 2005: 7:58 AM EDT

TOKYO (Reuters) - Toyota Motor Corp. is preparing to raise prices of its new cars in the United States by an average 2 percent to 3 percent in October out of consideration for its struggling U.S. rivals, the Asahi daily said Friday.

A Toyota spokesman said the automaker has not yet decided to raise U.S. prices, adding it is still looking at such factors as the competitive environment, costs and profit.

The newspaper said Japan's top automaker is preparing to lift prices for almost all its new cars sold in the United States. The move would also reflect higher raw material costs and a cut in sales incentives, it said.

To help restore health to the U.S. auto industry and out of fear of a possible U.S. political backlash, Toyota Chairman Hiroshi Okuda has said repeatedly for the past two months that Toyota should think about ways in which it could aid U.S. automakers -- such as by raising product prices.

Japanese brands collectively grabbed a record 30 percent share of the U.S. auto market last year, but U.S. automakers such as General Motors Corp. (Research) and Ford Motor Co. (Research) are struggling with sliding sales and huge health-care costs.

U.S. car prices are typically set higher when new models are introduced each year. But the rates of increase would be much steeper when cars undergo full-model changes every few years, the Toyota spokesman said.

Toyota's shares rose 0.5 percent on Friday to ¥3,830, lagging the Nikkei share average, which rose 1.3 percent.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

haha reversed protectionism LMAO...

japan takes pity on the US...
    Bunnies!
    Welcome to the DBTSverse!
    God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
    'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Japan could do the same thing by letting its currency float, as it should.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

sorry i wanted to responsed to your post but i am still laughing

Bunnies!
        Welcome to the DBTSverse!
        God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
        'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

if the yen isn't floating then why is there a currency market in it?
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's not completely floating. It's a heavily managed market, where the Japanese government often intervenes.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathByTheSword
              sorry i wanted to responsed to your post but i am still laughing

Comment

Collusion on pricing to help the weak companies just pisses people off.

Having Ford and GM go under will likely piss people off more.

Comment

Is the government constantly intervening to maintain a low value of the Yen?

If so, why hasn't inflation in Japan gone through the roof?

If they're intervening to keep the Yen close to a reasonable level (and simply avoid shocks) then what real effect will fully floating it have?
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Instead of saving GM or Ford, why not let them fall, then buy them?
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

As far as I'm concerned Toyota just proves they're sensible and patient.

And aside of that: ****, could Detroit possibly get pwned any more?!
                      Last edited by Colonâ„¢; June 10, 2005, 11:06.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

It's not like most of the cars are even built in Japan any more, Dan...

They build in Canada, the US and Mexico for the NA market just like GM does...
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          Instead of saving GM or Ford, why not let them fall, then buy them?
                          Put yourself in an investor's shoes. Would you buy them? If not, then why would Toyota buy them?

Comment

They build in Canada, the US and Mexico for the NA market just like GM does...
                            And that's why Toyota should step up to the plate for the coup de grace.

Comment

I wouldn't even buy one of their cars, let alone the whole company.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X