Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vote who you think is/was THE greatest American.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean, nothing wrong with Carnegie, but his impact pales in comparison to Rockefeller, easily the most influential businessman in the history of the planet - I mean, compared to him, Gates and Jobs are pikers.

Comment

But, c'mon. The thing was hosted by Matt Lauer. That alone should tell you this the show is nothing but fluff, packaged idiotically.

Comment

What, you mean I shouldn't take the suggestion of Tom Hanks, Michael Jackson, and Pat Tillman seriously???
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Lance Armstrong? Albert Einstein (was he even an American?) Bob Hope? Billy Graham? Eleanor Roosevelt? Mohammed Ali? Oprah Winfrey? Walt Disney?

Jesus f*ckin' wept.

Comment

Honestly, the only thing about the whole show I found interesting was that Malcom X was 40+ spots ahead of Frederick Douglas. That was kind of thought provoking, in a way. The rest of it was just depressing, as people apparently don't know anybody other than current stars, half-mythological figures, or people who have had biopics made about them in the last ten years.
            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Which makes it no different from any internet poll of the same subject.

Comment

JohnT, Lance Armstrong is as suitable as any to go on the list.

He had cancer. He was as good as dead. And now, he has gone on to win the top event in his sport for seven years in a row.

I can't think of any more inspirational individual story.
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I'm pretty sure I can come up with 25 better ones.

And the list isn't about "inspirational stories", it's about "greatest Americans." I.e, performing accomplishments and achievements that better not just you, but the entire country and the world as a whole.

Lance Armstrong might be great for Lance Armstrong and his story might be inspirational... however, this doesn't really make him "great", much less greater than, say, Alexander Hamilton. Or Frederick Douglass. Or, keeping it to athletes, Jackie Robinson or Babe Ruth.

Comment

Lance Armostrong?!?!?!?!?

What a ridiculous poll.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Well, duh! The one and only GI Joe:

The U.S. Marine Corp Sniper must be a superb marksman and a master at field craft and aggressive tactics. Outfitted in a Ghillie suit, this G.I. Joe soldier carries a Remington 7.62 MM M40A1 sniping rifle, and a Colt arms assault rifle. He also comes with binoculars to spot his target.
                      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

According to Mat Lauer on The Daily Show, Elvis is in the top 5, So is Dubya.

Martin Luther King, jr., however is not.

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

Nothing terrible about Oprah herself, it's just that she has no place being on any reasonable list of the "top 25 Americans" or whatever.

Myself, I vote for Thomas Edison. Or John Rockefeller.
                          You join Ludd's "Disobeying Rules" club. Rockfeller is not even on that website I linked to.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                            Lance Armstrong? Albert Einstein (was he even an American?) Bob Hope? Billy Graham? Eleanor Roosevelt? Mohammed Ali? Oprah Winfrey? Walt Disney?

Jesus f*ckin' wept.

Einstein was and Schwarzie is, naturalized American citizens.

Comment

I would have voted for Bobby Kennedy but he wasn't on the list.

So I'll go with Lincoln.
                              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Remember guys -- you got three votes that you can use.

Comment

Working...
                                X