• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banned you are.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
      I'm not disputing that MtG saw something. I'm reserving the liberty to doubt he's got a very good handle on how quick it moved, how constant the brightness was, etc.
      I've been doing astronomical observations for 32 years. My first job was on a survey crew and I've dealt with civil engineers, topo maps, and bearings for over 25 years, off and on. Then there's the 30 years of off and on darkroom and photo work. Throw in orienteering and celestial navigation for a bit of overkill. So between those, I have a pretty fair handle on angular dimensions, traverse rates, and color and illumination properties. Then there's the playing with reticle eyepieces and doing arc and optical bench calibrations of telescopes and binoculars.

On a night with good seeing conditions and Saturn above about 20° above the horizon, I can see the ring disk of Saturn with my naked eyes if the rings are not edge on, so my vision isn't that bad, either. (The Saturn ring thing is possible for many people with 20-20 vision and is typical for people with 20-15 or better vision. My daughter can do it too.)

On top of that, I cheated. I saw the thing from an alley where there were all sorts of physical objects to reference observation points, and I took notes and sketched the movements right after I saw them. Then I was anal and dug out my astro tripod and plopped it down and took arc and angular measurements after the fact with help from my next door neighbor, because the thing was so odd. Having nearby visual references and being able to take notes and then check measurements helps. If I wasn't an astrogeek, I wouldn't know how or bother, but I am an astrogeek, so there ya go. There's always slop in any visual observations, but I'll lay heavy odds I'm well within ±10% and probably closer to ±5%.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

You're a lunatic.

Comment

I've been doing astronomical observations for 32 years.
          I suppose that changes matters a bit.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
            You're a lunatic.
            Yep. For my midlife crisis due in 5-10 more years, I want to sail around the world solely with traditional celestial nav instruments in a real boat. (i.e. no engines other than minimal emergency aux power generation and no other synthetic **** aboard other than rope.

And when other 13 year olds were diddling themselves, I was out freezing my ass off looking at stuff in the sky and trying to figure out celestial mechanics and spherical trig on my own, for fun. So definitely lunatic material.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Yeah I was looking up too, the difference was that as far as I got was "huh, there's a cloud".

Comment

MTG's knowledge is unparalled.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

It seems that all are in deep denial - if I'm not wrong, then we have all been in contact with a representative of the Nedaverse.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

That's the thing. You can see something that just ain't right, but then what? My sighting lasted a half an hour or more. It got boring...

All these years later all I can say is, huh, there was a UFO.

Now what? Now nothing. Not a damn thing I can do about it beside keep my powder dry, like that will help..

I keep lots of glasses of water all over the house of course...

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                      MTG's knowledge is unparalled.
                      If the conversation turns to botany or fashion design, I'm SOL, and there's quite a few more subjects I don't know squat about.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                        2. My tequila of choice is Herradura silver.
                        I go heavy with Herradura anejo.
                        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Given the proximity of the airbase, it's very likely it was an experiemental aircraft of some type, probably a UAV, since those manuveres would probably crush a human.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

There are no UAVs at Miramar, it's a straight fighter and heavy airlift base. There's a few Harriers that I've seen operate from Pendleton, but they're loud, slow, and there's no single point light source in anything near that color.

Since there was no aspect change to the light source, no sound, and no visible object when passing across two different stars (wings would have blanked the star for a moment, or else it would be too far away to see at all), I ruled that out.

Especially since it was originally nearly the apparent magnitude of Jupiter, so that would have been one hell of a fixed navigation light to put on a UAV. (Why waste the weight and create the power drain?)

I don't buy into it being an alien spacecraft, but it sure as hell wasn't anything like a UAV - they fly like ducks anyway, since the whole goal is to maintain a sensor package on a target and stay in communication with that sensor package.

The original transit rate was a bit slower, but order of magnitude close to satellite and space vehicle transits I've seen from Skylab to Mir to the shuttle to ISS and smaller satellites, but significantly faster than the angular transits of commercial airliners at altitude.

I'm also working right across from the end of the runway at Miramar nowadays, so I see about a dozen F/A 18 flights a day and can compare apparent size, sound and angular transit for fighter size aircraft in a variety of altitudes, speeds and apparent aspects changes.

Scale down from there to UAV sizes, and there just ain't no way to believe we have a flying, silent, trans-sonic UAV capable of maneuvers like that. If we did, it would have dropped bin Laden's sorry ass on the White House lawn.

Whatever I saw, it just didn't fit with any type of standard flight characteristics.
                            Last edited by MichaeltheGreat; June 8, 2005, 19:43.

Comment

Too make sure civies don't run into it. To make it easier to observe from the ground by the testers.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                                Too make sure civies don't run into it.
                                Civies wouldn't recognize a single, fixed orange light as something they could run into - the whole red/green flashing thing is a standard for a reason.

And I've seen formation lights at night on fighters on take off or late final approach or low flights over Torrey Pines, and they're bluish-green elongated strips.

Besides, why would you test something all hot and fancy in the middle of a major urban area, when you could use Vandenburg or 29 Palms or a zillion other places to test with a lower probability of observation?

We DanS'd each other.

The testers would have data and telemetry feeds from the commlink and possibly radar as well - they wouldn't have any need to bother with visible light to know where it was, and the interesting data would come from onboard nav, flight and attitude control, throttle, and accelerometer systems, not some blank light. Besides, it was a visible disk, so a reflective or diffuse light source, not a point source.

Comment

Working...
                                X