No announcement yet.

Prostitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw a psuedo documentary late at night on HBO. The prostitutes were mostly lesbians who got a sense of superiority of their "weak" customers. They took the money and viewed it as a form of punishment that they inflicted upon the men.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
      I think that this thread is lacking from actual knowledge. All single apolytoner's who don't have a strong moral conviction against prostitution should immediately begin a reserach project into the topic and report back in a week
      lacking actual knowledge? I was in the navy. 'nuff said.

Comment

• Originally posted by pchang
        I saw a psuedo documentary late at night on HBO. The prostitutes were mostly lesbians who got a sense of superiority of their "weak" customers. They took the money and viewed it as a form of punishment that they inflicted upon the men.
        They are also typically sexual abuse victims ( a very high percentage of lesbians are in general ) who learned how to entice men rather than love them. Strippers also fit this description in a very high percentage of cases. This is probably reason #1 (out of many) why the thought of taking part in this sort of thing sickens me.

On the other hand women in other parts of the world are more likely to become prostitutes for purely economic reasons. In many cultures prostitution is more acceptable for both parties. Even in the west there is a lot to be said for regulation and legalization, as prohibition tends to be worse than what is prohibited in many cases. As with a lot of drugs I think the best we can do is legalize it, regulate it, and try to make it as rare as possible.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• He'ss back (been quite ill - now have insomnia due to them taking me off some drugs).

First - SCOTUS has upheld laws pernitting US Nationals to be persecuted and/or sanctioned for actions outside the US. There have been multiple successful prosecutions on this. The most recent case came about over drug convictions actually, if memory serves my properly. What I find it interesting was that SCOTUS would not even consider the fact that the rules of evidence are wildly different in other countries, as is what constitutes due process. At least for US citizens, be VERY careful in foreign countries.

To expand on Sikander's point, it is not just sexual abuse. At least in the US you also have many women - and adolescents - working in the various sex trades, from stripping to prostitution, who have had very negative male role models but were not per se sexually abused. Think instead physically or even verbally abusive relationships, or where the male role model is very distant, unapproving, or even neglectful of their little girl(s).

They do not understand what a healthy relationship is, and due to the sexualized nature of so much popular culture (IMHO and many others, this is the first non-fact here) instead find using their sexuality as the primary subtext for their interpersonal relationships acceptable. It's very sad. That being said, regulation has been shown to greatly reduce the crime and other problems associated with prostitution.
          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

• he only way I could avoid these constant advances was to have my friend Irene (a female friend from college who came with me to Costa Rica) go with me every where
            i could never think of the "could we always do everything together on this trip cause i want to avoid all these women coming at me?" line
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

• "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Irene is a hottie.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Pictures!
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
                    you didn't respond to my post though...

didn't respond once to my issues of domination..

people don't hire people to shovel their stables, and then call them **** the entire time...

it happens in prostitution

of prostitutes were respected, and the people involved did it because they enjoyed sex, then I wouldn't have nearly the problem I do now..

but as it is, it is a way that mostly women are made to feel that they are less then men, and for men to feel that they are better then women

this isn't something our culture should encourage...

Jon Miller
                    i agree about the respect part, but legalized prostitution sure seems alot better than illegal. Getting tested for STDs and removing the business from organized crime and etc...

plus I got to contribute 30 euro to some german college student's scholarship. awesome.
                    :-p

Comment

• Gosh, funny that no one has mentioned AIDS or other STDs as a problem with prostitution. You should realize that the primary tests used to screen for HIV infection generally does not detaect the disease until the victim has been infected for 4 to 6 weeks. In a developed country how often do you think HIV screening would be required of prostitutes? If they're tested every 4 weeks that means an infected prostitute could be contagious and in circulation for over 2 months before she's detected.
                      Last edited by Dr Strangelove; June 8, 2005, 08:21.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
                        you didn't respond to my post though...

didn't respond once to my issues of domination..

people don't hire people to shovel their stables, and then call them **** the entire time...

it happens in prostitution

of prostitutes were respected, and the people involved did it because they enjoyed sex, then I wouldn't have nearly the problem I do now..

but as it is, it is a way that mostly women are made to feel that they are less then men, and for men to feel that they are better then women

this isn't something our culture should encourage...

Jon Miller
                        Sure I responded -- by rejecting your opinion-- As I said I don't know if either of us is right -- I suspect we both are to some extent and what a "pro" expects and accepts can be pretty individual to that pro

How do you know that a significant number of the customers involved just don't simply want sex with a younger more attractive partner than they could otherwise attract? How do you know that a fair number of the pros have the ability to work other things but they see this as more money quicker than anything else they could do?
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• scary ain't it
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• Actually Dr. Stranglove that was my mention with "other problems." HIV and STD's are a bigger problem when prostitution is NOT regulated. Especially if with regulation prostitutes are no longer under the control of pimps who will beat them if they do not bring in enough money, and having unprotected sex and generates a higher fee from the clients.
                            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                              Gosh, funny that no one has mentioned AIDS or other STDs as a problem with prostitution. You should realize that the primary tests used to screen for HIV infection generally does not detaect the disease until the victim has been infected for 4 to 6 weeks. In a developed country how often do you think HIV screening would be required of prostitutes? If they're tested every 4 weeks that means an infected prostitute could be contagious and in circulation for over 2 months before she's detected.
                              I never mentioned it as I saw it as self-evident that numerous sex partners bring a number of risks. Its an issue but in the final analysis an irrelevant one. If we accept a person's right to have numerous sex partners and engage in orgies, we already are saying that adults have the right to assume certain risks.

On the issue though . . . A secretary at my old firm works for an organization that has a van drive around talking with the streetwalkers. (They are actually trying to counsel them out of the trade but in the meantime they chat them up and provide coffee, water and condoms). Apparently the vast majority of the working girls are very safety conscious to the point that they would never touch a naked penis with any part of themselves. The first contact with the penis is the touch of latex being applied. My friend was suprised to learn that a condom was used even if all the guy wanted was a manual release.That doesn't solve the problem but the fact that very strict safe sex practices are the norm would lessen the spread of disease
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
                                I would think they would want to forget the "pay for it aspect" and fantasize that the hot girls with them is really attracted to them.
                                You haven't seen that many prositutes, have you. Most are not attractive.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X