Prostitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prostitution

I just got back from a thoroughly wonderful vacation in Costa Rica and I loved every minute of it though there is one thing I'd like to discuss. It seems that Costa Rica, like many developing countries, has its urban areas over run by prostitutes seeking cash from foreign tourists. Sadly, many of these tourists seem to be visiting Costa Rica not for the countries numerous national parks and/or cultural treasures but instead were taking part in organized sex tours which sometimes visibly included child sex. I personally am not opposed to Prostitution though it isn't for me but I do oppose child prostitution as it is an unfair exploitation of some of the most vulnerable people in society.

It was actually kind of surreal to be propositioned by so many good looking women (prostitutes though they be) in such a consistent basis. In fact it seemed like every foreign tourist was constantly catcalled and propositioned by prostitutes unless they were walking with another girl. Since I don't currently have a girlfriend the only way I could avoid these constant advances was to have my friend Irene (a female friend from college who came with me to Costa Rica) go with me every where.

The really strange thing is that many/most of these girls didn't seem like drug addicts or other types you'd expect to be in such a business. Instead many of them looked like truly gorgious college girls who were just doing it so they could afford to buy the latest fashions and expensive foreign made jewelry. That's not the choice I'd make but it seems one which many of Costa Rica's youngest and hottest women are making. I've noticed similar things occurring in Thailand and Korea when I visited those countries as well.

So my question is do you consider this to be a problem? Do you think first world tourism promotes this sort of stuff and what can be done to stop it?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

No, I think there is no problem whatsoever with child prostitution. These kids are saving money for college, after all. It will get them out of poverty.

urgh.NSFW

Comment

I already said I oppose child prostitution; we're talking about prostitution where both parties are over 18. Now the question is what can be done about it and is it an unavoidable effect of 1st world tourism to poorer countries?

Comment

I have no problem with prostitution as a profession for adults.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Oh, regular prositution?

well, I guess I have no problem with it, as long as it is organized by the workers, if you know what I mean. ( no pimps)
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

I see nothing philosophically wrong with adult, consenting prostitution, however one has to see a practical problem with prostitution in countries like Costa Rica. There is a high likelihood that these women would contract STDs at higher rates, which not only endangers their customers but puts a decided strain on healthcare and quality of life in a nation where those are already at a minimum.
            Visit The Frontier for all your geopolitical, historical, sci-fi, and fantasy forum gaming needs.

Comment

I respect prostitutes for providing an essential service to millions of people

And "we" put 'em in cages as a reward?

I bet we'd have more nutcases out there killing people if not for prostitutes.

Comment

Re: Prostitution

Originally posted by Oerdin
                The really strange thing is that many/most of these girls didn't seem like drug addicts or other types you'd expect to be in such a business. Instead many of them looked like truly gorgious college girls who were just doing it so they could afford to buy the latest fashions and expensive foreign made jewelry. That's not the choice I'd make but it seems one which many of Costa Rica's youngest and hottest women are making. I've noticed similar things occurring in Thailand and Korea when I visited those countries as well.
                I lived 6 years in Costa Rica and never noticed this. Then again I left when I was still naively 16

Suddenly I feel an uncontrollable urge to go back
                A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Being in Nevada, the brothels run here make this a very safe profession for those that choose to go through those channels. It isn't going to go away and that individuals who voluntarily (as in of their own free will, not under duress) engage in it have every right to do so. All we, the people who choose not to do this, can do about it is do everything we can to ensure those who do are given every opportunity to be safe.
                  The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Its an underground industry and you just walked into one of the hotspots. World tourism doesn't promote it but some people travel just for that purpose. To be fair, the authorities are trying to crack down.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by DerSchwarzfalke
                      I see nothing philosophically wrong with adult, consenting prostitution, however one has to see a practical problem with prostitution in countries like Costa Rica. There is a high likelihood that these women would contract STDs at higher rates, which not only endangers their customers but puts a decided strain on healthcare and quality of life in a nation where those are already at a minimum.
                      The Costa Rican government does issue licences to protitutes which prove they've been counciled about safe sex practices and have undergone recent STD checks. I guess that would be the way to go if the sex trade is to be premited though I can't help but feel Prostitution should be kept as small and out of the public eye as possible. In cities like San Jose, Jaco, and Quepos the hookers were every where and right out in the open. It would be better to have a "red light district" where this activity is confined that way normal families don't have to deal with it on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                        Its an underground industry and you just walked into one of the hotspots. World tourism doesn't promote it but some people travel just for that purpose. To be fair, the authorities are trying to crack down.
                        I did notice that the airport had a ton of posters which said "We protect our children. The age of consent is 18." and similiar messages written in English, French, and (curiously enough) German. It deos seem the government knows there is a problem with the child sex trade in that country and that they're trying to do something about it.

Comment

Many Japanese go to Thailand, the Phillipines, and Korea for such a purpose.
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Re: Prostitution

Originally posted by Oerdin
                            I just got back from a thoroughly wonderful vacation in Costa Rica and I loved every minute of it though there is one thing I'd like to discuss. It seems that Costa Rica, like many developing countries, has its urban areas over run by prostitutes seeking cash from foreign tourists. Sadly, many of these tourists seem to be visiting Costa Rica not for the countries numerous national parks and/or cultural treasures but instead were taking part in organized sex tours which sometimes visibly included child sex. I personally am not opposed to Prostitution though it isn't for me but I do oppose child prostitution as it is an unfair exploitation of some of the most vulnerable people in society.

It was actually kind of surreal to be propositioned by so many good looking women (prostitutes though they be) in such a consistent basis. In fact it seemed like every foreign tourist was constantly catcalled and propositioned by prostitutes unless they were walking with another girl. Since I don't currently have a girlfriend the only way I could avoid these constant advances was to have my friend Irene (a female friend from college who came with me to Costa Rica) go with me every where.

So my question is do you consider this to be a problem? Do you think first world tourism promotes this sort of stuff and what can be done to stop it?
                            yes it's a problem, as most of those girls are not there of their own volition. Many have run of debts, and have to become prostitutes to pay them off. And of course the underage girls. That's just wrong.

Comment

I remember seeing a TV show on the Costa Rican problem years ago. It might have been on "60 Minutes".

Comment

Working...
                              X