What is Splenda Anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Splenda Anyway?

I just got done arranging my apartment, putting away all of my w00tly new kitchen stuff, swept and mopped the floors, and called it good. I went over to my moms apartment because she has food over here (and the internet) and I dont have these things in my apartment just yet. Looked through the fridge and saw a big jug of Arizona ice tea, it looked perfect! Poured a nice tall cup, took a sip, wondered what the **** was wrong with it. It tasted like there was aspartame in it but not quite the same as usual. So I took another sip, strange taste. So I looked at the jug, it says its sweetend with Splenda. You know, the "no calorie sweetner that tastes like sugar because its made from sugar," that bull****. Tastes like ****, not like sugar.

What is splenda?

You already explained what it is -- it's crap.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

My father-in-law just retired. 35 years at a sugar plant, owned by Sprekles most of the time. He got a box of Splenda for his retirement

You get him going on Splenda and he'll never shut-up.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

splenda is the trade name of sucralose.

sucralose, being an undigestible chlorinated form of sucrose.
        B♭3

Comment

mmmmm. All of the flavour none of the ability to be broken down by pesky metabolic enzymes.
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

What's the sequensing for the receptor on the tongue, anyhow?
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

It is denatured surgar. Still sweet, but no usable calories.
              Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

It is denatured surgar.

eh?
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Denatured means that it's not in its natural/functional conformation.

e.g. a denatured protein would just be a bunch of strung out amino acids

Comment

Were those amino acids strung out on acid?
                    B♭3

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                        Denatured means that it's not in its natural/functional conformation.

e.g. a denatured protein would just be a bunch of strung out amino acids
                        I knew that, and that wasn't my question. I am working with carbohydrates at the lab now. My question is that this is meaningless for table sugar, which is a carbohydrate dimer. with the carbohydrate monomer, D-glucose, for example, 'denatured' would mean an the open-chain form, which is unstable generally, but probably is used as a transition state/short-lived form while being 'eaten up' by enzymes. So I don't really know what this means in this case.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
                          It is denatured surgar. Still sweet, but no usable calories.
                          Good stuff! I use it on my oatmeal and in coffee from time to time. Also, it's an added ingredient in a number of products I use (i.e. reduced-sugar ice cream, cereal, that sort of thing).

Gatekeeper
                          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Oh, I remember one more feature of splenda: you can use it to bake, which you can't with other sweeteners on the market now.
                            B♭3

Comment

Aha! niiiiice. Yeah, it should be pretty close for the receptor. Don't see why wouldn't the enzyme break it up, though.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X