X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Why intelligent design isn’t.

Originally posted by Jon Miller

there were no scientific advances that proved those things false

there is just a lot of experimental and observational evidences, and well-made built up theories which are not in agreement with 'young earth' and 'six day' theory

Jon Miller
    Has to disagree a little. There are very little, saying none. evidence that in any way supports 'young earth' and 'six day' theory. Quite contrary, there are masssive evidences that contradicts that 'young earth' and 'six day' theory should bee taken seriously.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

You could start with why the Standard Model fails to explain the mass of fundamental particles, for one.

Or a specific reason certain quantities are conserved.

Whether conservation applies (and for which quantities) in a singularity

The lifetime of the proton.

I'm sure with only a little digging, there are a few thousand more one could identify.
      actually, we know that the standard model is flat out wrong, and doesn't coincide with experiment and other theories (GR)

it does a very good job at explaining things at certain energies though

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Why intelligent design isn’t.

Originally posted by BlackCat

Has to disagree a little. There are very little, saying none. evidence that in any way supports 'young earth' and 'six day' theory. Quite contrary, there are masssive evidences that contradicts that 'young earth' and 'six day' theory should bee taken seriously.
        huh?

do you understand what I said?

Jon Mill
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Nah, I think that I got caught wrong in some of the negations . Can't belive that it may be the influence of a splash or two of red wine from Piemonte (wait a second - yes, I blame those italians from Piemonte !!!! )
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
            I guess when it comes to the physical world, I rely on scientific evidence. But what science is there that can apply to the spiritual realm?
            How about neuroscience? There is no spiritual realm. It's all just a bunch of neurons firing.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator

How about neuroscience? There is no spiritual realm. It's all just a bunch of neurons firing.
              You haven't explained how this prevent a god to influence the spirit of mankind as it is evidenced in several books.

* BC ducks and run since this isn't his turf *.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Senethro

The whole concept of god is outlandish if you approach it having never considered it before.

Now we know that the voices you receive in your head are madness and not divine revelation. Why would anyone pay for the Phantom Menace on DVD and then watch it?

The belief in God is outlandish to you, but I will respect whatever personal belief you have -- or in this case your personal non-belief?

As for Phantom Menace, no I'm not BUYING it but it's not too much to pay to rent it though.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                    You haven't explained how this prevent a god to influence the spirit of mankind as it is evidenced in several books.
                    No I haven't indeed, because such an argument doesn't exist. It is impossible to prove or disprove God's existence. Anyone trying to say otherwise is full of it.

Interesting...
                    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

If biology classes in Dover, PA have to offer criticism of evolution and mention other possibilities, would they be permitted to offer criticism of the "other possibilities?
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                        I'm sure with only a little digging, there are a few thousand more one could identify.
                        It's true that science doesn't answer the why questions. Science only works with units, equations, and processes - no meaning is involved. Nor should it be.

Otherwise you'd just go mad.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Re: Why intelligent design isn’t.

there were no scientific advances that proved those things false

there is just a lot of experimental and observational evidences, and well-made built up theories which are not in agreement with 'young earth' and 'six day' theory
                          Young Earth Creationism holds that the earth is around six thousand years old.

If radiometric dating indicates otherwise, this would mean that YEC is "disproved." Or falsified, to be more precise.
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

You just sound like an aborigene who thinks that rain could only have been caused by an omnipotent entity, because it is soooo mysterious.
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

wrong

it means that the evidence is in favor of different theories

you can't disprove something, in particular with observations

for example.. perhaps things have changed in the last 6k years including decay rates..

YEC is heavily unfavored, but it is not disproved

of course, science does not teach about all the unfavored theories.. only about the favored ones

technology has increased a lot by following this methodology

Jon Miller
                              (not arguing that is the case.. just saying why, partifcularly for observational science, it isn't proved/disproved)

(you can't prove or disprove anything, really, in science)
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

wrong

it means that the evidence is in favor of different theories

you can't disprove something, in particular with observations

Can't agree with that. In 1957, Yang Chen Ning and Lee Tsung-Dao received the Nobel Prize in physics for overthrowing the "absolute" law of parity conservation.

for example.. perhaps things have changed in the last 6k years including decay rates..
                                You realise that would require some drastic changes in fundamental laws of nature, which, somehow, doesn't show up elsewhere.

Scientific models don't change data to fit themselves, unlike religious dogma.

YEC is heavily unfavored, but it is not disproved
                                Not disproved, just falsified.

On second thought, what am I saying? Only theories can be falsified. YEC isn't a theory. It isn't even a hypothesis. It's rubbish.

Nevermind.

Comment

Working...
                                X