Why intelligent design isn’t.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackCat

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck ....

ID/creationism isn't about science - it's nothing but religion.
    Believing in God does not a creationist make.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

From the link i posted earlier:

3. Too Fine-tuned for Chance
      There is a general view amongst physicists that the laws of nature that have allowed our creation are accidental. They are simply a property of mathematical principles that have nothing to do with our existence, or the existence of anything else for that matter. Life, the universe and everything exists by pure accident.

Another view emerged as the laws of nature came under increasingly detailed mathematical scrutiny and it became apparent that tinkering with them just slightly could make life impossible. It looked as though the laws of nature had been accurately set purposely to encourage the evolution of life.

The laws of nature can be defined by a set of numbers that provide the parameters for the evolution of the universe as we know it. One of these numbers in particular, the so-called cosmological constant has to be very tiny if the universe is to grow old enough and big enough to contain stars, and life.

The cosmological constant can be considered as the intrinsic mass and volume of empty space, which Einstein had suggested was not zero. It turns out that this number needs to be set to an accuracy of one part in a trillion, trillion trillion, trillion trillion, trillion trillion, trillion trillion, trillion. Any minuscule variation and life is a non-starter.

This raises all kinds of dilemmas for physicists who understandably shrank from the conclusion that pointed toward Intelligent Design. Martin Rees has remained steadfast: ‘Some people are satisfied with a religious explanation, whereas I think it is a scientific question, which deserves to be addressed by cosmologists.’

I see all these questions as ones that philosophy(and by extension religion) AND science can answer.

For many of our lives a spiritual level(religion) is as important as a real world level(science).

I'm glad that science decided to make computers, and not religion, imagine a religious computer - how frustrating that could be when all i wanted was a game of Civ! for example.

Each has merits and a reason for being, and hopefuly a useful part to play in our society imho.

But biggotry in any form isn't the way we can better ourselves as individuals.

I see religion and science as like the Yin and Yang
      'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

so som big spooky thing said that i should be alive? where did that come from?
        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

I'm done with working on my thesis until later today now. So to answer Cal's question in full as to how I can believe that God has no role in the physical world, but has a role in the spiritual realm.

First, there has been no scientific evidence produced by rigorous, repeatedly tested experiments to substantiate any claim that God created the world, and created life.

Second, I do not see any strong interconnection between the physical world and the spiritual realm. The physical world involves material things in all shapes and forms, from the largest skyscraper to the smallest microbe; these are all tangible, physical things.

The spiritual realm is separate from the physical world in that a person's spirit/soul is intangible. I believe that this is where God played such an important role. He gave humans the gift in that each individual person has his/her own spirit/soul that provides some kind of indirect connection with God. This also means, that with my belief, animals and plants have no connection with God for two reasons:

first, God never created any life

second, animals and plants, based on my personal belief, have no spirit/soul which is how one is connected with God in the first place
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Religion sucks.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

No it doesn't.

Comment

It sucks with teeth.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

second, animals and plants, based on my personal belief, have no spirit/soul which is how one is connected with God in the first place
                  And that rises the interesting question - was it god that made the first humanlike beings sentient or was it the first sentient beings that invented gods to explain the unexplainable ?

I think the right answer is the last one.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

You just have your panties in a twist today, and in one of those "EVERYTHING sucks" moods I bet.

EDIT: x-posting sucks with teeth

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat

And that rises the interesting question - was it god that made the first humanlike beings sentient or was it the first sentient beings that invented gods to explain the unexplainable ?

I think the right answer is the last one.

We humans did not invent God -- he always existed even long before humans evolved.

Comment

First, there has been no scientific evidence produced by rigorous, repeatedly tested experiments to substantiate any claim that God created the world, and created life.
                        Nor is their any scientific evidence that God created souls, yet you believe it - why?
                        ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                        ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

You just have your panties in a twist today, and in one of those "EVERYTHING sucks" moods I bet.
                          That is quite probably true.

Comment

We humans did not invent God -- he always existed even long before humans evolved.
                            And god was just taking a nap to approx 2000 years ago ?
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

What is so outlandish about God remaining dormant?

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia

Nor is their any scientific evidence that God created souls, yet you believe it - why?
                                Often read such things - but isn't the entire point of a religious belief that you don't need proof to believe something? Therefore one can hardly argue about it.....
                                Blah

Comment

Working...
                                X