No announcement yet.

Where did your ancestors come fom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that's mainly because you talk without any substantial knowledge in an ex - cathedra manner btw

Comment

• I see a lot of assertions from you, but never any rebuttals.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Scottish, Irish, English, and Greek.

(with Scotish and Greek being the most influential to me)
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• It most certainly is. There are genetic markers which occur much more frequenly among Jews than other groups, including Black Jews.

Plus, as Az notes, there are many atheist Jews.
          what? thats like saying muslim is an ethnicity because many arabs have hte same genetic markers. but that doesnt make islam a nationality. i mean jeez, this is the kind of thinking that Hitler used "Jewishness is not a religion, its a 'race' and you cant get rid of it by converting to christianity."
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• che, rebuttals over the internet?

I only responded because you sometimes get a molly bloomesque ex-cathedra style about things that you obviously only have scratched the surface.
            to tell you things will take a long time and i dont have that.
            but you know travel, visit places, open books, see for yourself and then you can say " i know" . (but again you'd think that i'm defending something, so it's useless)

get the vlachoi for example, get and read every book then visit the villages, read anthropological studies (not on ethnicity of course but on social antrhopology) know today's fit into greek society etc etc. only taking a large brush and painting something and doing so in an air of certainty is... nothing!

Comment

• Got:

Mainly English with some Welsh and Irish, and doubtless something from across the other side of the North Sea from England.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                what? thats like saying muslim is an ethnicity because many arabs have hte same genetic markers. but that doesnt make islam a nationality. i mean jeez, this is the kind of thinking that Hitler used "Jewishness is not a religion, its a 'race' and you cant get rid of it by converting to christianity."
                If Hitler said the sky was blue, would you refuse to believe it?

That fact that anti-Semites used this as an excuse for their hatred doesn't mean they were 100% incorrect. The best lies contain a kernal of essential truth.

As for Muslims sharing generatic markers, it's not the same. I doubt that if you examined the Indonesians and Morrocans you;d find much similarity. Frankly, if you examined Yemenis and Syrians, I don't think you'd find much similarity, as most Arabs are decended people who converted to Islam and adopted Arabic as their language. Most Jews, however, are decended from Judea. Whether you examine Indian Jews or the Lemba, you find the same incidence of a unique genetic marker. The vast majority of Jews are decended from the the Jews kicked out of Judea by the Romans.

In addition, as nationality is a completely invented reality, Jews are free to consider themselves one.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• pattycakes argument basically boils down to, I'm not Grek so I don't know anything. Well I know this, Windex™ doesn't cure everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    pattycakes argument basically boils down to, I'm not Grek so I don't know anything. Well I know this, Windex™ doesn't cure everything.
                    nice reply

I thought you were more mature than that and you obviously understood nothing so ciao

btw that's all you did, state things and then say : rebutt me then!!!! rebutt meeeeee!!!!!!!

YOU need more stuff to do too
                    (and you certaintly don't know much about what you're talking)

Comment

• Turth hurts, don't it.

Comment

• If Hitler said the sky was blue, would you refuse to believe it?
                        i dont know, what do you think?

As for Muslims sharing generatic markers, it's not the same. I doubt that if you examined the Indonesians and Morrocans you;d find much similarity. Frankly, if you examined Yemenis and Syrians, I don't think you'd find much similarity, as most Arabs are decended people who converted to Islam and adopted Arabic as their language. Most Jews, however, are decended from Judea. Whether you examine Indian Jews or the Lemba, you find the same incidence of a unique genetic marker. The vast majority of Jews are decended from the the Jews kicked out of Judea by the Romans.
                        and you think that if you compare the genetic makeup of a Sephardi and an Ashkenazi Jew you will find similar genetic makeups?
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• From bash:

watching someone get banned is like watching a ****** throw eggs at an old lady

just had to share
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            In addition, as nationality is a completely invented reality, Jews are free to consider themselves one.

I think this is the key. Despite a high proportion of certain genetic markers, Jews are not a "race" as race is a concept without any particular explanatory value. Similarly our idea of a "nation" is essentially a 19th century concept, and is not really applicable to pre-modern times. A term like ethnicity was originally, and for some still is, a euphemism for race. Or it can be used to refer to culture - except culture isnt strictly hereditary - I have cultural values and practices that neither of my parents had - does that mean ive invented my own ethnicity? More usefully, ethnicity refers to membership in CURRENT social groupings, which share some cultural content, and perhaps some RECENT common origin. But then its pointless to ask about ethnicity based on DISTANT origin.

And all these are value dependent. I could argue for Jewish "ethnicity" based on certain core cultural values and practices - but then a good counter arguement could be made that Sephardic and Ashkenazic Jews were historically different ethnic groups - speaking different daily languages for example, having a range of different customs, folklore, music, etc. Jews privilege the customs that we have in common, originally for religious reasons, and among secular jewish nationalists like Az for nationalist reasons, but ultimately all discussions like this, while they may be infromative, are somewhat arbitrary.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia

Islam as an ideology did not call itself a nation. While there is a concept of the "ummah" that represents a group identity that I think goes beyond any in Christianity, and that Christians often have trouble grasping, Islam has always aspired to a universal quality.

The CONTENT of the Jewish religion specifically refers to the role of Jews as a people, as a collective, one thats different from that of other "nations". IF Jews are nothing more than a religion, than the Jewish RELIGION, as religion, is nonsense.
                              Last edited by lord of the mark; May 24, 2005, 13:31.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• It seems that the Greeks are actually ethernopians

HLA alleles have been determined in individuals from the Republic of Macedonia by DNA typing and sequencing. HLA-A, -B, -DR, -DQ allele frequencies and extended haplotypes have been for the first time determined and the results compared to those of other Mediterraneans, particularly with their neigh …

HLA genes in Macedonians and the sub-Saharan origin of the Greeks.

Arnaiz-Villena A, Dimitroski K, Pacho A, Moscoso J, Gomez-Casado E, Silvera-Redondo C, Varela P, Blagoevska M, Zdravkovska V, Martinez-Laso J.

Department of Immunology and Molecular Biology, H. 12 de Octubre, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain. aarnaiz@eucmax.sim.ucm.es

HLA alleles have been determined in individuals from the Republic of Macedonia by DNA typing and sequencing. HLA-A, -B, -DR, -DQ allele frequencies and extended haplotypes have been for the first time determined and the results compared to those of other Mediterraneans, particularly with their neighbouring Greeks. Genetic distances, neighbor-joining dendrograms and correspondence analysis have been performed. The following conclusions have been reached: 1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum, like Iberians (including Basques), North Africans, Italians, French, Cretans, Jews, Lebanese, Turks (Anatolians), Armenians and Iranians, 2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum, 3) Greeks are found to have a substantial relatedness to sub-Saharan (Ethiopian) people, which separate them from other Mediterranean groups. Both Greeks and Ethiopians share quasi-specific DRB1 alleles, such as *0305, *0307, *0411, *0413, *0416, *0417, *0420, *1110, *1112, *1304 and *1310. Genetic distances are closer between Greeks and Ethiopian/sub-Saharan groups than to any other Mediterranean group and finally Greeks cluster with Ethiopians/sub-Saharans in both neighbour joining dendrograms and correspondence analyses. The time period when these relationships might have occurred was ancient but uncertain and might be related to the displacement of Egyptian-Ethiopian people living in pharaonic Egypt.

HLA genes allele distribution has been studied in Mediterranean and sub-Saharan populations. Their relatedness has been tested by genetic distances, neighbour-joining dendrograms and correspondence analyses. The population genetic relationships have been compared with the history of the classical po …

Population genetic relationships between Mediterranean populations determined by HLA allele distribution and a historic perspective.

Arnaiz-Villena A, Gomez-Casado E, Martinez-Laso J.

Department of Immunology and Molecular Biology, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain. aarnaiz@eucmax.sim.ucm.es

HLA genes allele distribution has been studied in Mediterranean and sub-Saharan populations. Their relatedness has been tested by genetic distances, neighbour-joining dendrograms and correspondence analyses. The population genetic relationships have been compared with the history of the classical populations living in the area. A revision of the historic postulates would have to be undertaken, particularly in the cases when genetics and history are overtly discordant. HLA genomics shows that: 1) Greeks share an important part of their genetic pool with sub-Saharan Africans (Ethiopians and west Africans) also supported by Chr 7 Markers. The gene flow from Black Africa to Greece may have occurred in Pharaonic times or when Saharan people emigrated after the present hyperarid conditions were established (5000 years B.C.). 2) Turks (Anatolians) do not significantly differ from other Mediterraneans, indicating that while the Asians Turks carried out an invasion with cultural significance (language), it is not genetically detectable. 3) Kurds and Armenians are genetically very close to Turks and other Middle East populations. 4) There is no HLA genetic trace of the so called Aryan invasion, which has only been defined on doubtful linguistic bases. 5) Iberians, including Basques, are related to north-African Berbers. 6) Present-day Algerian and Moroccan urban and country people show an indistinguishable Berber HLA profile.
                                The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X