Stronach Affair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stronach Affair

Well I guess we found out who has real principles and who are just political hacks.

If it smells like being bought off, looks like being bought off, it probably means she was...cabinet position? Just after the 'phone call offer' incidents the cons were on about? Most of all, Martin's smirking like chimp next to her on TV?

Hey I didn't want the cons to win either but the libs are starting to look a lot less of a lesser evil.

On the other hand, it is a little funny that the 'youthful, vibrant, progressive' face of conservatism turns out to be a liberal...

and a little disturbing that ultrarich conservative Stronach basically found nothing she disagreed with in the Liberal party...I can imagine the call "Linda, wake up. We're the new conservative party. Don't let the name fool you. We are the ones with money on our side now".
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Why not discuss this in the Canpol thread?
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

The other thread is becoming too long.

The sale of Cabinet positions continues.

As my prediction of the next election outcome should be well known by now (to save KH's sanity I will refrain from repeating it again...) I have decided to name my price.

For $5000 in a brown envelope the Libs can have my support. I hope I'm playing the game properly now. I have no need for a Cabinet position but some of my tax money back might be nice. Seems this is the only way it can happen.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

On the other hand, it is a little funny that the 'youthful, vibrant, progressive' face of conservatism turns out to be a liberal...
        Um, no. She ain't the 'youthful face of the party' dude. There are many other conservatives that are actually conservative and who are young.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Frank Stronach ?

Comment

Belinda.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Um, no. She ain't the 'youthful face of the party' dude. There are many other conservatives that are actually conservative and who are young.
              But they're not vibrant
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

only when their neck throbs
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                  only when their neck throbs
                  Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

What I can't fathom is the criticism of Martin putting her in cabinet based solely on her 'not having enough experience.'

Where do people think she would be if she had half an once of loyalty in her blood and the Tories won more seats than anyone else? Would she not be in cabinet?

There are columnists criticising her and Martin on that point. It leads me to believe that more than radio talkshow callers are chewing the power cords.

Did she not run a multibillion dollar corporation? Did she not pull strings to rearrange a political landscape? I wouldn't be too quick to call her a dullard.

That being said, the whole sordid mess is beyond the pale.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

... and I'm smelling a rat.

It doesn't make sense. Belinda has been painted as wanting power. OK. Is she going to get to the top of the heap as a Liberal? Highly unlikely.

OTOH, it appeared that Harper was unassailable on the other side of the aisle. So what do you and your moderate, Conservatively minded boyfriend do?

Sabotage of both sides?

After this Harper is toast if he doesn't win, and it may be less likely that he do so. So assume that Martin retains the PMship after an election and Harper resigns or is kicked. Who is odds on to become leader of the Tories?

Now, what happens when Belinda turns the other coat and says 'I can't stomach the Liberals after having lived with them. They are worse than people thought. Look at what I can tell after having been put in charge of resolving the results of Gomery'?

Call me a fishwife, but I can think of no better scenario for getting rid of Harper and ushering in a Conservative majority government under MacKay within 36 months.

/tin foil hat post
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
                        Frank Stronach ?
                        Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                        Belinda.
                        His daughter.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

Call me a fishwife....
                          OK, you're a fishwife!

Seriously, this is NORMAL political opportunism. She got pissed off at Harper - he's a dogmatic neo-con - and she made a deal for a cabinet seat with Martin. All Liberals, and many Tories (even a few Ndippers) are more about power than principle. The Tories are outraged? Hey, deal with it.
                          Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Actually, I think a great many Canadians, who do not feel that our higher offices should be for sale, are outraged.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

A lot of them are Liberals.

Martin is gonna get bit in the ass so bad in the long run, but he'll think he did good by lasting longer than Campbell.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                              X