Koran being flushed story was fake.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atawa

Well its actualy the ones released (proclaimed innocent by the US) that make these accusations, when you're caged for 24/7 its kinda hard making accusations to the outside world. Besides, whatever happened to innocent untill proven guilty?
    Whatever happened to keeping a thread on topic?

Comment

I agree the Bush administrations policies about Gitmo and the lack of Judicial review are wrong. The claim was that torture was occuring which is very different from disputes of one's legal status.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Fair enough
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

According to international law practices in gitmo are classified as torture, reason for the bush administration to just redefine the word torture.

Comment

Yeah, I've mentioned this alot, the "redefinition" of torture so it doesn't include things like fixed positions.

Then people come in with, "that's not real torture!"

I'd like to see them hold an awkward position for 8 hours straight and tell me how easy it is.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

According to international law practices in gitmo are classified as torture, reason for the bush administration to just redefine the word torture.
              Specifically what practice is torture?
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

You'll have no permanent damage, physicaly at least, from those practices but putting people in aircon (read freezing/boiling) rooms with stroboscope lights and earsplitting music for hours on end will lead to halucinations at first and insanity in later stages.

I realy wonder what they are planning on doing with these people in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Specifically what practice is torture?
                  Read the raving lunisite

Comment

It hasn't been "redefined" to become less inclusive, it's the other way around. Over the years the term "torture" in everyday use has been broadened considerably, to serve the cause of politicizing activists, who don't know the first thing about the affairs they're criticizing.

Comment

You'll have no permanent damage, physicaly at least, from those practices but putting people in aircon (read freezing/boiling) rooms with stroboscope lights and earsplitting music for hours on end will lead to halucinations at first and insanity in later stages.

I realy wonder what they are planning on doing with these people in the long run.
                      Yup, which is why they love these methods so much, it leave no permanent physical scars.

The mental damage, like you said, can be permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                        It hasn't been "redefined" to become less inclusive, it's the other way around. Over the years the term "torture" in everyday use has been broadened considerably, to serve the cause of politicizing activists, who don't know the first thing about the affairs they're criticizing.
                        YOU go stand like this for 4 hours and then tell me how you feel.

I doubt you even last 15 minutes.

A sshole

Comment

Charming. And so very relevant to the point I was making.

But it's still a bit of a mystery what all this has to do with the fake Newsweek story and the riots that ensued.

Comment

I thought that the OP was supposed to start a discussion about the results of bad journalism but I seem to be wrong.

The killings and damages caused by those who made the original fake history doesn't seem to bother many. Instead people start talking about torture at gitmo etc - how come ? is it because bashing incompetent journalists isn't as satisfying as bashing Bush ?

Journalists are honored when they dig up serious matters (watergate etc, you name it), but when they seriously screw up like this, noone seems to be interested.
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It's not a mystery at all

We already set the enviornment by all the torture crap that has gone down

So when they heard the story, of course they believed it

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                                Too easy but anyway: How do you know these activists dont know what they are talking about? Most information comes from former prisoners, some from the red cross and even the FBI. I'd say they know a lot more about this subject then anyone on this forum or the general public.

Comment

Working...
                                X