No announcement yet.

California to ban internet hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's probably elevated, Dan, not simply "above ground" - mucho engineering work done, as well.

Another important detail - what's the station density?
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Very low. One every 2 or 3 miles.

A vanilla above-ground city station on existing rail cost the DC gov't about $100 million two years ago. Most of the stations on the rail extension likely will need very large garages in addition. This is very suburbish area, but like what I imagine LA to require.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 22:29.
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Oh, give it up with regard to Bush, Ted. The money is there at the federal level to match state and local initiatives, since these funds come from gasoline taxes. The Dulles Airport extension is going to be built and the sticking point wasn't federal funding.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

A vanilla above-ground city station on existing rail cost the DC gov't about $200 million two years ago. Most of the stations on the rail extension likely will need very large garages. This is very suburbish area.

These are very high prices.... In Israel, a heavy rail station would cost at 50-70 Million USD. how much land do simple stations take? In Israel, it's usually very low ( besides the existing rail)
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Georgetown wants one now. I wouldn't give one to them, if only out of spite.

But looking at it rationally, DC desperately needs a new line that travels Wisconsin Avenue, picks up Georgetown, and proceeds downtown.

Az: I cross-edited you. It was less than I remembered.

Comment

Comment

I'll probably win that bet by about $50 billion. The gloat threads are about to start.

Comment

Sure, in a perfect world, where common sense actually. ruled. Like I said, money doesn't grow on trees.

There is no state money. Period. At the Federal level, our tyrannic moron of a leader is busy conducting his little war which costs 177 million per day. And I doubt that the rest of the nation would support such an expenditure for just Los Angeles. If you can find someone who can sell this idea, you have found the greatest politician in the history of mankind.

If Boston can pull off a big dig, you can pull off a decent rail network.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

No. Please. No mention of the big dig. You will instantly kill any enthusiasm for infrastructure products by invoking that boondoggle.

Comment

shush, it's between us mass-transport friends. No mention of it when we try to get the PR for the project, of course.

Btw, I sorta like the Big Dig. Maybe it will even pay off one day.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

It would have been cheaper to pulverize the city and start over.

Edit: I note that with the Dulles Airport rail extension, the Washington subway will be the second longest system in North America behind NYC.
                            Last edited by DanS; May 9, 2005, 03:17.

Comment

It would have been cheaper to pulverize the city and start over.

One must admit that it's a grandiose solution - but hardly an efficent or elegant one. It just proves the importance of planning in advance, and zoning in advance.

For that money, Boston could have a dreamland rollercoaster of a public transport system for example, AND a new ringroad to take care of all traffic passing the city.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Keeping on this land values theme, the Metro has been very successful in anchoring the Washington area to downtown. The amount of development ($$$) near a metro station in the city is immense.

Comment

Working...
                                X