No announcement yet.

Creationism vs. Evolution: Kansas in Spotlight Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I expect that once one wheel is discovered (can be utilised in the wheelbarrow of course), the rest just fell into place pretty quickly...ie fire and cooking things on it, obviously after a few painful initial experiments
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Not only is the glass half empty, but there's a big-ass crack in the bottom of it, and the liquid within it is souring.
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Don't forget, it's also the knock-off, not the real stuff that's in the glass.
        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij

Well, 5000 years of civilisation and look how far we've got. The only thing we learned is how to destroy us all with a push on a button. Progress
          Bull****. it takes 10 button presses and four synchronized key turns.

Comment

If Evolution is the truth, which I believe it to be, it should stand up to scrutiny, and they shouldn't be afraid to debate. Those scientific groups mentioned in the article shouldn't boycott. Let them present their arguments and let their truth shine through.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Justice is blind, therefore it never sees the truth.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                I believe in evolutoin, but what is the problem with having a debate over it?
                The Panda's Thumb has a good running coverage of this whole thing.

As for the "dabate," it was aptly classified as a kangaroo court. Just look at the people who were going to attend - the usual suspects such as Michael Bebe, etc.

Nothing's new here.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                  If Evolution is the truth, which I believe it to be, it should stand up to scrutiny, and they shouldn't be afraid to debate. Those scientific groups mentioned in the article shouldn't boycott. Let them present their arguments and let their truth shine through.
                  As UR pointed out, it's a sham court. There's no reason reputable scientists should give a shred of credibility to this farce. Doing so is degrading to science, and will just make the quacks on the KS schoolboard look legitimate.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

As UR pointed out, it's a sham court. There's no reason reputable scientists should give a shred of credibility to this farce. Doing so is degrading to science, and will just make the quacks on the KS schoolboard look legitimate.

Maybe not. The Scopes trial was a big win for reason in the end.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Maybe not. The Scopes trial was a big win for reason in the end.
                      The Scopes trial was different. For starters, a debate is an extremely poor forum for presenting evidence for evolution: there simply isn't sufficient time. It is good for presenting sound bites.

There used to be a great many debates on the same issue, usually started by one creationist or another. They love these debates because their arguments can be presented easily in such a fashion. That's also why now there are very few of these debates, since evolutionists found out how bad they are for them.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                        You want to know what to teach in physics you ask a physicist. You want to know what to teach in the life sciences you ask a biologist.

You don't ask a room filled with people with little or no relevant scientific background and an axe to grind.

Gatekeeper, how do you stand it?
                        I let off steam now and then, such as I did in the opening of this thread. But most of the time, believe it or not, I have faith: Faith that there's more going on than we can ever realize in a single lifetime, and faith in humanity.

It's not easy. I become downright enraged from time to time. My faith weakens. But then I see something — a newborn babe, a gorgeous waterfall, a beautiful night sky, somebody doing something *nice* just because — and my faith is restored.

There's room in this world for faith *and* science. Always has been, always will be. But right now, certain religious elements have, as I said earlier, control issues.

Gatekeeper
                        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

insert 90% of gatekeepers rant here
                          Bunnies!
                          Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                          God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                          'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Topeka attorney Pedro Irigonegaray who has agreed to defend evolution as valid science
                            Git back below the damn border, Pedrooo

What I find disgusting is the waste of money on this stupid issue.

Comment

The Scopes trial was different. For starters, a debate is an extremely poor forum for presenting evidence for evolution: there simply isn't sufficient time. It is good for presenting sound bites.

There used to be a great many debates on the same issue, usually started by one creationist or another. They love these debates because their arguments can be presented easily in such a fashion. That's also why now there are very few of these debates, since evolutionists found out how bad they are for them.
                              So what you are saying that if the argument can be presented in a clear and logical fashion so that most people can understand, it must be less true than a more complicated argument that cannot?

Seems backwards to me.

I would think that had the arguments for evolution been stronger you would be citing the debates as proof in their superiority.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

the general idea of evolution is already proven with bacteria. heck i did it when i was at high school. the only thing not proven yet is the beginning and the precise steps from there to here. which will be very hard to prove (but that is why we call it a theory of evolution dont we )
                                Bunnies!
                                Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                                God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                                'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Working...
                                X