Paul Martin Live - or Cdn Reality TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Martin Live - or Cdn Reality TV

OTTAWA (CP) — Prime Minister Paul Martin is doing the right thing by taking to the airwaves to tell Canadians directly about his government’s record and its plans, Trade Minister Jim Peterson said Thursday.

Heading into a cabinet meeting, Peterson said Martin wants to keep voters up to date on what the Liberal government has been working on and put the sponsorship scandal in context.

“There’s a lot to be talked about in terms of what we’ve accomplished, in terms of what we’re doing to get to the bottom of the Gomery commission, in terms of what we have on the agenda for the future,” said Peterson, a long-time Martin loyalist.

“I think Canadians deserve to be told directly by the prime minister.”

Martin has taken the highly unusual step of bypassing Parliament and speaking directly to voters with a brief broadcast appearance Thursday night at 7:45 p.m. ET.

His staff have said the prime minister would talk about the sponsorship inquiry being held by Justice John Gomery into money funneled to ad agencies for work that was never completed.

They said Martin has no plans to announce his resignation or call an election during his brief remarks, expected to last about six minutes in each official language.

Gomery has heard a series of witnesses describe the political control exercised over sponsorship contracts by past prime minister Jean Chretien and his former public works minister, Alfonso Gagliano.

Gagliano has denied at the inquiry that he controlled specific sponsorship projects, funding or selection of middlemen but his claims have been contradicted by other witnesses and reams of documents.

Martin’s minority government is in jeopardy after allegations by advertising executive Jean Brault, who admitted to working with top Liberal brass and Gagliano aides to divert $1.1 million to party coffers in exchange for sponsorship contracts.

Martin’s extraordinary move follows a Conservative-engineered non-confidence motion Wednesday that could bring down the minority government as early as May 3 — sending voters back to the polls in early June.

Canadians should wait for Gomery’s final report before they make up their minds, Public Works Minister Scott Brison said as he headed into cabinet Thursday morning.

That way, they can weigh contradictory testimony that Gomery has heard, “and ultimately he can come up, through his report and his analysis, with the truth for Canadians.”

Meanwhile, Justice Minister Irwin Cotler denied allegations that some top Liberals influenced judicial appointments.

“I am involved with respect to the nomination of judges on one basis only: merit, excellence,” said Cotler as he headed into cabinet.

“And I think if you look at the appointments, they’ve been excellent appointments.”

In media interviews published Thursday, Benoit Corbeil — former head of the Quebec wing of the Liberal party — described an influential network of Liberals who oversaw political nominations and suggested that was why lawyers often volunteered to work for the party.

About 20 helped out in the 2000 election and several of those were later named judges, said Corbeil, who is expected to testify soon at the Gomery commission.

He refused to name names and added he has no proof any judges were named improperly.
    Throw the man an anchor already.

I predict this approach will backfire as the public gets a good view of just how desperate this man is to cling to power.

Anyone think this will work/help?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Who cares.

The Liberals are corrupt, the Conservatives are corrupt, the NDP is inept, the Bloc are impossible, and the Greens are laughable.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So do you vote Liberal anyway or not vote?
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I won't vote.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Then this thread isn't for you.

Comment

I love political drama.

Did anyone happen to catch the House of Commons on Tuesday live on CBC? That was awesome, what a zoo.

Anyways, this announcement should be interesting. My housemate says that its going to be recorded at Martin's desk, similar to the Presidential address. Should be good (or bad, depending on how you look at it).

Comment

The Liberals are corrupt, the Conservatives are corrupt
              If the conservatives are corrupt, the Liberals are ultra ultra ultra corrupt times infinity. I don't think corrupt is the right word for the CPC... perhaps, conservative is the word you're looking for?

Comment

There is nothing wrong with being conservative, my problem is the CPC is full of religious conservatives. Religious people have this terrible tendency in forcing their morals and opinions on other people.

They give conservatives a bad name.

Comment

Hardly the definition of corrupt though.....

Comment

They're corrupt in the sense that they're morally corrupt, which is painfully amusing since they believe they are the moral people.

Comment

Defining corrupt:

1) in a state of decomposition; tainted; putrid.

Religions have been "decomposing" for many generations now, thankfully, so this definition certainly applies. I am vastly relieved that the process of decay seems to finally be hitting the Liberal party, however.

2) of a perverted character; depraved.

As you said Asher, the religious right believe that they are acting morally. But morality (concerning the principle of "right" and "wrong") can be claimed by anyone who sincerely believes that what they are doing is correct.

The Liberals, governing as they always have with a finger in the political wind, certainly have no basis to take the moral high road. It is difficult to find any issue on which Liberals will make their stance unequivocally - other than "Keep us in power!"

3) dishonest; given to bribery.

HAHAHAHAHA.... Liberals.

Sorry, Asher. Corruption does not seem to be quite the word you're looking for.

As for "forcing their morals" (or lack thereof) "and opinions on other people", the Liberal party has been doing exactly that for most of my lifetime. And I am getting really tired of it.
                      Long live the Dead Threads!!

Comment

Nah, what he means is the second meaning. That religious people are perverted and depraved.

Isn't that right Asher?
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The Liberals, governing as they always have with a finger in the political wind, certainly have no basis to take the moral high road. It is difficult to find any issue on which Liberals will make their stance unequivocally - other than "Keep us in power!"
                          The initiative they took on gay marriage was quite bold, given the slightly below 50% popular support at the time.
                          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

It may backfire in the short term but in the long term (by which I mean election day) I don't think it will hurt him at all. Unless of course he comes out holding a bloody hatchet in one hand and a Nazi flag in the other, his pants around his ankles and used condoms falling out of his pockets......

.......and even then I wouldn't bet against him (not that I think that highly of his abilities - it's the effectiveness of the Liberal spin doctors combined with the incompetence/stupidity of the voting public I'm referring to).

Of course that's just me....I could be wrong.
                            If at first you don't succeed, take the bloody hint and give up.

Comment

It's a pity that the Bloc doesn't field candidates outside Quebec. I reckon they'd get loads of votes - mainly because they're sensible by comparison with the other parties.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X