Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need advice, my friend fell for Nigerian internet scammers for around 10,000 dollar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need advice, my friend fell for Nigerian internet scammers for around 10,000 dollar

Ok a few years ago I received my first Nigerian email scam invitation, and I laughed for weeks because of it. Later on I found out that this type of scam goes on all the time. Well a few weeks ago my friend tells me about this girl he met on a dating website, and they started talking. It turns out she lives in Africa, and wanted to come here. I warned him that it was a scam, but obviously not sternly enough. So like a week later supposedly her boss sends my friend money orders for back wages he owed her that she couldn't get in Africa. He went to the bank cashed 10,000 dollars worth of these money orders and then sent them by Western Union to her. A few days later he gets more and he goes to the post office to cash them but they tell him that they are counterfeit and at first they act like they are going to charge him with a crime. The next day they back off and say that basically they knew he wasn't trying to purposely do anything wrong, and they tell him to break contact with her. They then go about their business.

However, the money orders my friend cashed came back to his bank and now he is 10,000 dollars in the hole. This is a pretty devistating blow to him, and he doesn't know what to do. So I was wondering if any of you could give me any advice that could help him out. He is only a waiter trying to finish up college, so he lives on a very modest income. He's really kicking himself because he was so naive, but basically the bank said that he was liable and not the person posing as the boss who created the counterfeit money orders then sent them to my friend, because nobody knows where to find him.

So what are some of my friends options? He doesn't really have the money to pay them off, he doesn't want to declare bankruptcy, so can he do anything about this? Thanks for your help!

This really, really sucks.

Comment

contact the FBI

they have a group looking into crimes of this sort..

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Jesus... people can be so naive.

He should go to the police first (though I doubt they can do much). Get all the info about the 'girl' he can first.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Hmmm, problematic...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

shouldn't 10k US from a nigerian sort of tipped him off?

like I could expect even 1k... but 10k?

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

i like it how they are all sitting on $45 million in cash, but they need you to send them $2,000 to help move it. i mean comon, youve got $45 mil, use some of that.
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Well he's been working with a postal inspector (the one who questioned him at first and implied that they were going to charge him with uttering counterfeit money orders) but basically the government's stance so far seems to be "That sucks, but there is nothing we can do to catch these people, so you're SOL."

Comment

What a muppet, what was he thinking? Even a five year old on LSD could see though that scam

Comment

Smother him with a pillow, a la Big Chief in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. It's really the only proper thing to do, both for him and for society at large.
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

WTF? If they accept the money orders aren't they responsible?
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

My friend apparently talked to this person often for what little time he knew her. He liked and trusted her, he's a really nice person who would do just about anything for a friend, so when she asked him if he could accept the money orders her boss was sending to him and then western union them to her he didn't think it was a big deal. He told me it wasn't like she sent him a check or got his bank account information, so he thought it was legit. Yeah he made a mistake and was a very naive, but **** happens I guess. He knows this, I know this, and I'm sure all of you know this. I just don't want to get 600 responces telling me something I already know. I still have no clue what he was thinking though, because unlike most of those scams he wasn't even getting anything...

Comment

Yes they were counterfeit postal money orders, the post office spotted them in like a second, the bank though took his information accept them, then returned them like a bounced check...

Comment

Shows what happens when you think with you d1ck...
                            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                              X