ShowCase should be banned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shame on you, nye.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• NYE, how is watching dramatized unsafe sex in any way comparable with child labour?
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
        It was funnier than hell.
        Hell is funny?!?

Geez, **** paradis then!!
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

• Yeah, it's such a ***** not being able to show R rated in place of Saturday afternoon cartoons.

*sigh*

If Saturday afternoon cartoons are being shown at 11pm, I'd say that either you're in the wrong time zone, or the broadcaster is.

The issue, as I understand it, is this:

Is it perfectly all right for a privately funded television show on a privately funded network whose availibility is on a paid service that is not by default availible to the public to, at a reasonable hour, as in, after most people have either headed towards bed or are soon going to, to show a television adaptation of a fairly renowned play with explicit homosexual themes?

I say yes, because it's a privately funded television show on a privately funded network whose availibility is on a paid service that is not by default availible to the public to, at a reasonable hour, as in, after most people have either headed towards bed or are soon going to be in bed.
          B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither

I'm not sure why you take me for a Libertarian. I would say that responsibility isn't simply an onus on the consumer. Maybe broadcasters should demonstrate some.

I take you for a conservative- you have after all appeared just like a conservative in your posts.

Are you saying you were possessed, or speaking in tongues ?

Do you approve of provincial television censors placed in all homes with cable or satellite so they can monitor just who and who isn't up at 23.00 hours and watching what they 'SHOULDN'T' be watching ?

Books are even more subversive- I'm told some local authorities and state/provincial governments have books on open shelves where people can read them- in the daytime !

O Canada, O tempora, O mores....
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Actually, I'm an old time Tory. You know, social responsibility and all that crap.

And no, I'm not in favour of a return of the provincial censorship boards. I would, however, like our broadcasters to manage themselves so that management of them never becomes something that is considered desirable by any reasonable segment of the population.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Oh, and O Getoveryerself.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Okay, let's get one thing really clear:

Nobody could watch all of "Angels in America" and get the idea that having sex w/o condoms is cool or wonderful or anything like that. Holy hell, the entire point of the story is the horrors of the AIDS epidemic. Taking that scene out of context is stupid, because it's about how a guy frickin' DOESN'T want to have sex without a condom.

I don't see any way that a 12-year old is going to be harmed by watching the movie. On the contrary, it's quite an eye-opening look into the consequences of engaging in unsafe behavior. Roy Cohn's death ain't pretty, and I doubt anyone would want to suffer the indignities he goes through in his final days.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Actually, Boris. I tuned in not knowing what it was about. I saw the trailer and it seemed like it might be interesting, but I missed the first part then came in late on the second. The scene I described was in the first five minutes of what I saw.

At any rate, the OP could as easily be based on some of the scenes from The Sopranos.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

• The only thing that's going to harm a 12-year-old by watching the Sopranos is that they might be bored to tears.
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Or they see how the 'good guy' eliminates his problems with a hand gun.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

• Nothing in the Sopranos has ever indicated to me that Tony Soprano is a 'good guy' or that he is desirable to emulate. He's a ****ed up *******.

Better not show kids Othello, lest they think it's cool to strangle one's wife.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• I'm sure that 100% of 13 year olds could readily identify that the guy with the big house, nice cars, pretty wife, and prettier concubines is not a person to emulate.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

• Incidently, The Sopranos was a much bigger case of irresponsibility on the part of a broadcaster.

CBC had the Olympics for the 14th time in a row, or so. CTV got the bright idea of buying the Sopranos first season to air opposite, in prime time, over the airwaves.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

• He's the guy who is crying to his shrink, in a ****ed up marriage, and has loads of bad **** happen to him. There are plenty of consequences for his actions.

Seriously, what's your point? I can see WW2 movies on network TV wherein it's celebrated to shoot people in certain uniforms. But a show depicts a modern mobster semi-realistically, and it's the end of civilization? I'd like to give our TV-viewing youth a bit more credit than that.
                                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                                X