No announcement yet.

ShowCase should be banned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd like to consider the effect on the fraction of a single percentage.

I'm not sure of the correlation between TV and acting out in life, but I don't dismiss it.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov
      He's the guy who is crying to his shrink, in a ****ed up marriage, and has loads of bad **** happen to him. There are plenty of consequences for his actions.
      Exacty. Tony Soprano is NOT someone who is shown to be emulated. For all the big cars, nice house, etc, his life sucks. He's the head of the Jersey mob family, but he's got psychological programs (going to a shrink), has BIG problems with his marriage (which led him getting kicked out of the big house by his wife in the last season), with a lot of his close friends getting wacked. If someone thinks Tony Soprano is 'cool', even if they are 12 years old, I think that is a problem with the person.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Too bad there are people who have problems who are watching it.

I'm torn.

I want to live in a liberal society where we shouldn't be concerned about 'art' for the masses.

OTOH, I read about teenagers ignoring health risks like smoking and the need for safe sex. Then I occasionally read about a young person going into a school with weapons and shooting things up.

I ask myself why they do those things. I don't think TV is the only reason, but I wonder how many of our young people are being harmed by the nature of our mass communicating culture.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
          I'm sure that 100% of 13 year olds could readily identify that the guy with the big house, nice cars, pretty wife, and prettier concubines is not a person to emulate.
          Shows that life isn't always fair. Perhaps I need to do some 'bumping off'...work my way to the top by default
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
            Too bad there are people who have problems who are watching it.

I'm torn.

I want to live in a liberal society where we shouldn't be concerned about 'art' for the masses.

OTOH, I read about teenagers ignoring health risks like smoking and the need for safe sex. Then I occasionally read about a young person going into a school with weapons and shooting things up.

I ask myself why they do those things. I don't think TV is the only reason, but I wonder how many of our young people are being harmed by the nature of our mass communicating culture.
            Art is, more often than not, a reflection of the culture and society that it is made in. Not the otherway around.

The way you've described the television show, it sounds quite seedy and depressing. If a teenager is looking to a program like that for role model behaviour, the problem is obviously in the thinking and mindset of the individual (ie. a cultural problem) rather than the program itself.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Yeah, I don't buy that television shows or games or whatever have any significant impact on the behavior of kids in this regards. Kids get ****ed up by their genes and their family, not what they watch or play.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• I sort of agree to where is NYE coming from, but the show isn't close to promoting unsafe sex. It's like saying that "Requiem for a dream" promotes drug use.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Come on, nye TV, movies and videogames can´t make a person do squat if they´re not already ****ed up. ****ed up people do ****ed up things, it´s as simple as that. No sane person takes after a TV show...
                  I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                  X