No announcement yet.

ShowCase should be banned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm amazed that people haven't generally realized about Bert and Ernie. CTW have denied it, but they've lived together and slept together and taken baths together for 30 years.

Good for them. They must be the only happy gay couple in Bush's America.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

But obviously this "Angels/Angles in America" sounds more like a documentary than an art film. I'm ok with documentaries, theres a difference than "art".

It isn't a documentary. It was originally an award winning play that was turned into a critically acclaimed miniseries by HBO.
      Ok, then that's BS.----> Sounded like a documentary, which would have been ok w/me. But since it's a play----->
      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
      *****Citizen of the Hive****
      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
        Yes.

The problem is the irresponsible attitude towards sex.

No, the problem is with you imagining that a film of a play is equivalent to a cookery programme or a d.i.y. show.

The news has scenes of real violence happening in the real world- how many months after the aeroplanes flew into the World Trade Centre did we see the footage AGAIN and AGAIN ?

How many shows are on television exploiting violence happening in the studio - Jerry Springer et al., or violence happening in real life- COPS and so forth ?

How about the dramas that use violence and its consequences- Law and Order, C.S.I., Wired, Homicide, not to mention all the films set in wars, or the Wild West and so on ?

What you're missing out on is that the scene you describe takes place in a given context in a given part of a trilogy of plays about an epidemic and its consequences, and the relationships of people through that time.

You may as well simply dismiss 'Titus Andronicus' because there's a rape followed by mutilation involving a tongue being pulled out and hands chopped off, and a woman being fed her murdered sons' remains in pie.

Or how about the child murder in 'Macbeth', the assassination of a king, or the blinding in 'King Lear', or the various poisonings, hangings, shootings, stabbings, bludgeonings, whippings, rapes, and tortures in the rest of Elizabethan and Jacobean drama ?

More to the point- if children are watching cable at 23.00 hrs routinely, then the parents are at fault. Unless the children are wards of court, or being raised at the expense of the state or province.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility ? I thought conservatives like you were big on that ?
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Frankychan

Ok, then that's BS.----> Sounded like a documentary, which would have been ok w/me. But since it's a play----->

Art.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• I'm with NYE on the general issue that a child's development is not solely the responsibility of the parents (I disagree with him on the issue of this show).

This is precisely why we have public schools, this is why we have social services that find adequate "parenting" to children who have dramatic family problems, this is why we have mandatory health programmes for children etc.

If you believe that the raising of a child is solely the responsibility of the parent, I'm afraid to say that you're an utter Floydian.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Molly, Molly, Molly...

Didn't you know? Violence is soooo much more acceptable than Sex.

Which is why a movies like Good Bye Lenin! and Amelie get R ratings, while Bond, the X-Men, Sahara, and the Ring all get PG-13.
              B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                Dude, keep you gaskets intact. My nephews were not here. However, there are many 12, 13, 14 year olds up at 11pm watching TV.

So? If they are up watching TV at 11pm, it's their problem. The government has to help people out as much as is reasonable, but it is not reasonable for everyone to cater to the needs of these peculiar, hypothetical 12-year-olds who stay up watching quality television instead of getting a good night's sleep before school.

Children who are old and mature enough to assume certain rights are old and mature enough to deal with philosophical questions raised by intellectually stimulating television programmes. And if they aren't, they can damn well mature quickly enough to deal with those questions.

Stop coddling teens.
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Why anyone thinks a nanny state is a good idea is beyond me.

Comment

• If you don't want your kids watching something it is YOUR responsibility to make sure they don't watch it. If you don't want the responsibility you shouldn't of had kids in the first place. They are YOUR kids, they are YOUR responsibility, not the government's responsibility.

Comment

• I can't remember what can possibly constitue a R-rating in Good Bye Lenin. I remember Amelie has a scene that depicts couples making love, but I'm really at a loss for Good Bye Lenin
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor
                        I can't remember what can possibly constitue a R-rating in Good Bye Lenin.
                        The C-word

Spoiler:
                        Communism
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• You're right

Comment

• "For language and brief nudity", IIRC, which apparently entails "R". Except, I don't quite remember much nudity at all.

Whereas X-2 has Wolverine being absolutely badass, and massacring oodles of Federal agents. PG-13.

Lesson learned? SEX==BAD, VIOLENCE==GOOD.
                            B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                              "For language and brief nudity", IIRC, which apparently entails "R". Except, I don't quite remember much nudity at all.

Whereas X-2 has Wolverine being absolutely badass, and massacring oodles of Federal agents. PG-13.

Lesson learned? SEX==BAD, VIOLENCE==GOOD.
                              That is why society in the US is so f*cked up, it should be (safe) Sex=Good, Violence=Bad.

Comment

• I'm with NYE on the general issue that a child's development is not solely the responsibility of the parents (I disagree with him on the issue of this show).

But it's also true that the protection of free expression is not solely the responsibility of individuals.

Hence, it seems to me that NYE has a case to make.

On the other hand, he's calmed down now from his über rage, so perhaps he's changed his mind.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X