No announcement yet.

who is the most evil evil guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Inquisitor in 'The Brothers Karamazov' as played by John Gielgud.

The paratroopers' commander in 'The Battle of Algiers'.

Henry & Ottis in 'Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer'.

The assorted worthies and gentry in Pasolini's 'Salo: or the 120 Days of Sodom'.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• "I am a man of simple means, all I want is Australia"
      - Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor
      Attached Files
      You have made peace with the evil Wheredehekowi tribe-we demand you tell us if they are a tribe that is playing this scenario.
      We also agree not to crush you, if you teach us the tech of warp drive and mental telepathy and give 10 trinkets

Comment

• "I am a man of simple means, all I want is Australia"

"The greatest criminal mind the world has ever seen, and I am surrounded by idiots"

- Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor
        Attached Files
        You have made peace with the evil Wheredehekowi tribe-we demand you tell us if they are a tribe that is playing this scenario.
        We also agree not to crush you, if you teach us the tech of warp drive and mental telepathy and give 10 trinkets

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          Lawrence Olivier was better than Ian McKellen as Richard III.
          Nope.

Laurence included a tiny degree of ham that makes his performance unkosher.

McKellen's was a more measured and also knowing performance- his psycho is bad, knows he's bad and enjoys it.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Lex Luthor=Australia.

Awesomeness.
            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
            *****Citizen of the Hive****
            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom
              Laurence included a tiny degree of ham that makes his performance unkosher.

McKellen's was a more measured and also knowing performance- his psycho is bad, knows he's bad and enjoys it.
              Of course Olivier was a ham. That's Olivier. His portrail of Richard III made him seem more human and his wooing of the Lady Anne is far more believable than McKellen's. Don't get me wrong, I love McKellen's portayal, and I thought I'd hate Olivier before I saw it, but I have to hand it to him. He really is a damned fine actor. Where Olivier's version falls flat is at the end, where he gets all artsy.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom
                Henry & Ottis in 'Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer'.
                That movie scared the **** outta me.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Of course Olivier was a ham. That's Olivier.
                  Ugh, no! Olivier was more than capable of subtle, nuanced performances. Watch the BBC King Lear he did, for instance.

I think Olivier's performance was great, just not as great as McKellan's. I think McKellan knows that role better than anyone and this portrayal captured the spirit that Shakespeare meant. Richard does his evil with a twinkle in his eye. Olivier just didn't have that mischief--he was all heavy.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• My God, the luvvies have arrived
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                      How could I forget... opera's evil villains!
                      -Iago in Verdi's Otello. Closely follows the Shakespeare, except he gets a deliciously evil soliloquy ("Credo"), and in the end he gets away.
                      Yes, Iago has to be one of classic literature's great villains.
                      -Hagen in Wagner's Gotterdamerung. He's a vile, greedy beast who is after the ring of the gods. He murders hero Siegfried and his own half-brother Gunther before being drowned in the Rhine while diving after the ring.
                      What about Wotan himself? His theft of the Rhine maidens' gold started the whole tragedy. He took the stolen gold and used it to finance the construction of a new castle. I've always thought of the Niebelungreid as an allegory of political corruption, in which a single greedy act sets forth a series of events ultimately ending in ruin.
                      ]
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                        What about Wotan himself? His theft of the Rhine maidens' gold started the whole tragedy. He took the stolen gold and used it to finance the construction of a new castle. I've always thought of the Niebelungreid as an allegory of political corruption, in which a single greedy act sets forth a series of events ultimately ending in ruin.
                        That's not quite how it happens. It's Alberich who steals the gold from the Rhine maidens, not Wotan.

Wotan is egged into building Valhalla by his wifey, Fricka. He has no means of paying for it, so he offers Fricka's sister Freia (at the suggestion of Loge, mind you) as payment to the giants building it (Fasolt and Fafner). But when the giants come to collect, Wotan tries to weasel out of it. Loge clues him in on the Rhine gold that Alberich has, so they go and steal the gold and the ring from Alberich. Wotan even gives up the ring to the giants to save Freia. So he doesn't act with evil, really.

The giants are evil, though. Fafner kills Fasolt (his own brother) on the spot to get the ring. He then turns into a dragon.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

That's not quite how it happens. It's Alberich who steals the gold from the Rhine maidens, not Wotan.

Wotan is egged into building Valhalla by his wifey, Fricka. He has no means of paying for it, so he offers Fricka's sister Freia (at the suggestion of Loge, mind you) as payment to the giants building it (Fasolt and Fafner). But when the giants come to collect, Wotan tries to weasel out of it. Loge clues him in on the Rhine gold that Alberich has, so they go and steal the gold and the ring from Alberich. Wotan even gives up the ring to the giants to save Freia. So he doesn't act with evil, really.

The giants are evil, though. Fafner kills Fasolt (his own brother) on the spot to get the ring. He then turns into a dragon.
                          OK, first he offers his wife's sister as a barter item, then he offers twice stolen gold. Sounds pretty evil to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                            OK, first he offers his wife's sister as a barter item,
                            That was Loge's idea. And Wotan tells Fricka that he never intended to let the giants have Freia anyway--it was a just to get them to build the castle. So he was conning the giants, who are themselves evil.

then he offers twice stolen gold. Sounds pretty evil to me.
                            But he only steals the gold and offers it to the giants to save Freia. If he were evil, he could have just let them have her and be done with it, keeping the gold for himself. Instead he gives them the gold AND the ring. Giving up the ring to save Freia was certainly selfless, as with it he could have wielded a great deal more power.

I'm not saying Wotan is a nice guy, but I don't think his actions qualify as "evil."
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

That was Loge's idea. And Wotan tells Fricka that he never intended to let the giants have Freia anyway--it was a just to get them to build the castle. So he was conning the giants, who are themselves evil.

But he only steals the gold and offers it to the giants to save Freia. If he were evil, he could have just let them have her and be done with it, keeping the gold for himself. Instead he gives them the gold AND the ring. Giving up the ring to save Freia was certainly selfless, as with it he could have wielded a great deal more power.

I'm not saying Wotan is a nice guy, but I don't think his actions qualify as "evil."
                              Wasn't Wotan supposed to be the god of treaties? Wasn't the magic of his staff that it carried treaties binding the warring nations together? He was the law amongst the gods, but it seems he wasn't much of a role model. For a man of law and order to con evil people into working for him could be considered both stupid and corrupt.

Comment

Of course Olivier was a ham. That's Olivier. His portrail of Richard III made him seem more human and his wooing of the Lady Anne is far more believable than McKellen's.

Yeah, over her husband's coffin. I don't think so...

In any case, Olivier wasn't simply a ham, just sometimes his performances are too decorated- like his West Indian Othello, who's been closer to Jamaica than North Africa.

His Hamlet and King Henry V are much better- Olivier's Richard III has too much of Snow White's nemesis in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X