Taxachusetts wrongly named? - Tax burden per US state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnT
    If actual services have been cut as claimed, and then the Repubs not only keep the Presidency but are able to increase their base and power (both nationwide and on a state level), how do you reconcile the quoted belief with actual historical fact?
    It's not necessary to increase your base. You can also deplete the base of the other party. If more Democrats lose faith (or the engery to engage in) in politics, the GOP gains.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

wow, Utah is really high up there. What do they spend all their money on.

We always hear Utah schools receieve less funding than our school in Nevada. Yet their students seriously outperform ours (the reason why I don't think funding directly causes better school performance).

but they have such high taxes. They must spend the money on something.

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
        The reason its called Taxachusetts is not because of the cost of the taxes, but the fact that there seems to be a tax on everything.

But its still nice to know

We were the forerunners of the policy in the 1700s of "No Taxation without Representation". Now, we have representation...and boy, do we have taxation.
        Wasn't the term "Taxachusetts originally coined by William Loeb, the ultra-conservative newspaper moghul of New Hampshire? New Hampshire didn't have income taxes either, but instead got its income from a super-liqour store near the border with Massachusetts.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
          washington doesnt have income tax, britches
          Because if they did no one would live there.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I seem to recall the 1984 Presidential race featured Reagon's ads denouncing Duhkakis as a "Taxachusetts liberal". Basically it is just another lie constructed by conservatives which isn't backed up bt reality. There might have been some truth to it decades and decades ago but it is no where close to reality now.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I dunno.

I see plenty of red states on the low side.

And the bluest of the blue is DC.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

#11 Arkansas

The 2003 state budget was $3.2 billion dollars and 67% of it went to education. Total expenditures (which I think includes county, local, etc. that all the taxes in the linked article support) was $12.6B.
                  meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Of the five worst tax states 4 are red and one blue while the lowest tax states are all blue. DOWN WITH THE HIGH TAX REPUBLICANS!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                      I seem to recall the 1984 Presidential race featured Reagon's ads denouncing Duhkakis as a "Taxachusetts liberal". Basically it is just another lie constructed by conservatives which isn't backed up bt reality. There might have been some truth to it decades and decades ago but it is no where close to reality now.
                      The phrase was around long before then. I lived in New Hampshire in 1977. The phrase was bandied about with glee by the locals.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        Didja happen to notice that 1984 was "decades and decades ago"????

Didja happen to notice that Dukakis ran in 1988 (a mere 3 years away from being "decades and decades ago")

Didja happen to notice that his opponent wasn't Reagan?

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

I read that. No one here was *****ing about taxes. I was talking in general terms.
                          And we're talking about the quoted piece (without which, this thread wouldn't exist). Pay attention!

Comment

Interesting that Tennessee has an 8.25% sales tax...Not to mention the property taxes and still 3rd from the bottom. i question these figures.
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

You bastards also have no income tax .
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

Didja happen to notice that 1984 was "decades and decades ago"????

Didja happen to notice that Dukakis ran in 1988 (a mere 3 years away from being "decades and decades ago")

Didja happen to notice that his opponent wasn't Reagan?
                                Ahh, what ever. You know what I meant even if I got the date wrong and I doubt the state had high taxes then just as it doesn't now.

Comment

Working...
                                X