Are you a beach person?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TCO
    I love the beach. Voltaire parking lot or by the pier in OB. Tourmaline in the winter. South mission beach jetty. Del Mar where the grass is. Waves are all good in the winter. Like to smell it and just be in it too...
    Ob is a great little beachside/border town with a nice laid back atmosphere but I could never live there. Still, it's a nice place filled with a bunch of pot smoking, soft taco eating surfer boys and surfer girls. South Mission Bay Jetty has some great waves but many of them shore break right on the jetty's rocks so the newbies often end up face planting on the rocks if they're not careful while Del Mar is one of the most forgiving places I have ever surfed. I guess that's why there are so many surf schools there because at least if the newbies crash and burn they roll on white sand instead of rocks or coral. Del Mar is a bit crowded but it is the essence of the southern California beach culture distilled in one place.

Down south is pretty good too. Rosorita and Puerto Nuevo both have pretty good waves and maybe one quarter of the surfers and American Beach would have. Good surf, great fish tacos, and few people present makes Baja well worth the drive.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      Maverick's is for surfers with a death wish.

Dude, how far did that seal ride with you? And you're a better man than I. I woulda kicked that seal back in if I felt I coulda stayed on the board. If the shark was following him, that means he's homing on you now.

Personally, I like it when the water is 80+. Cali is just too cold.
      The seal road with me for maybe 50-60 meters then jumped back in the water. He was breathing heavy and I saw the tail and dorsol fin of the shark so it was pretty clear why he had jumped on my board. At first I was just standing there staring at him but then I noticed how hard it was to steer with an extra 50-60 pounds of seal on board and with the shark so close i considered kicking him off so the shark would bite him instead of me. Luckily things kept going well and no big corrections were needed so I was able to just ride it out until one of my leaning corrections on the board spooked him and he jumped back into the water.

That was the only time that happened but it was very memorable.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'd like to learn to surf. It's warm water here, and no seals, so no great whites. Unfrotunately, we have lots of other types of sharks, including bull sharks, which have more testosterone in them than any other animal in the world. That's why they're so damned ornery. It's also why they will attack and attack and attack, unlike most other sharks which bite and spit.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Holy crap!!!! Having a seal jump on your board is one of those freakish, kicka** sounding things...never had that happen to me. Damn, that's prett fricken cool.

Hmmm, the only kind of threats in the water here are tiger sharks. Big mofo's. Haven't surfed on the outer islands, but I heard that sharks are more prevalent there.

But getting back to Mavericks...I was watching a surf video where they had to tow the guy in. Where IS Mavericks? Is it more in the North or South California? All I know is that I saw that guy drop on a 60 foot wave, or at least it looked that big, and I just freaked out. Major balls for doing that. Or idiocy.
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
          *****Citizen of the Hive****
          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

It's in NOCAL, I think.

(not at Mav's)_ I usta like getting out of the water after about an hour in there (and no wet suit except DEC-APR)*, and then dripping that surfer's nose on my gf laying out at the beach.

*I'm fat and lazy.

Comment

Working...
            X