No announcement yet.

Marburg Spreading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on the strain. Ebola Sudan, for instance, is 50%. Looks like Marburg is comparable to Ebola Zaire.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

Previous experience with Marburg showed a lower mortality rate (~70%). This one seems worse and is disproportionately affecting children 5 years and under. Poor healthcare resources may be a factor in the higher mortality rate. They should tap the survivors for anti-bodies.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

High mortality rate is probably better in the grand scheme of things, cuz it'll burn itself out.

Comment

High mortality rate is probably better in the grand scheme of things, cuz it'll burn itself out.

Not necessarily. Depends on the gestation period.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

What gestation period?
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I don't know whether it's the proper term, but how long does it take from infection to first symptoms? I mean there has to be sometime where a person is infected, transmits the desease but doesn't bleed out of his rectum, or something.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Incubation period, latent period.

Comment

yeah, this.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Az
                    I don't know whether it's the proper term, but how long does it take from infection to first symptoms? I mean there has to be sometime where a person is infected, transmits the desease but doesn't bleed out of his rectum, or something.
                    That was just a question intended to show negation.

AFAIK, the Marburg virus starts very quickly.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I think it requires about 72 hours. This is enough time for someone to get on a place.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Uh, why do you love joncha, Comrade?
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                        X