Just how corrupt is Greece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how corrupt is Greece?

I was reading an article in the Economist about the current government's attempt to crack down on corruption. It painted a pretty bleak picture. The current leader even said something about how his country is run by 5 pimps (rough translation). So, just how bad is it? Is corruption truly embedded deep within the Greek psyche?
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I suppose threads criticizing Greece are banned?
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

No only heretical threads against the Eastern Orthodox Church......
      "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

We have very few Greeks here (Markos and Axi post occasionally in the OT at best), and I don't think any non-Greek except VetLegion has any good knowledge on that country.

Anti-Greek threads are accepted on 'Poly, but they have much less impact than anti-US threads simply because we know much less about Greece than about the US. Your only chance to have a Greek-thread with many replies is to bring in a Greek, or to start a thread about prejudices ("Greeks are Fat", "Macedonia is not a part of FOPG" and the like )
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Markos is generally willing to tell you all about corruption in Greece. But only if you sign up to PolyPlus...
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

...or mention the Greek system at American Universities, with such proud institutions as Tappa Kegga Bru or I Phelta Thi.

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
              Markos is generally willing to tell you all about corruption in Greece. But only if you sign up to PolyPlus...
              Hello? Check out the size of my avatar.

Comment

Hello. Check out the server load avatar disablement.
                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by pchang

Hello? Check out the size of my avatar.
                  Not another one of these contests.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

my 2 cents:

In Greece, corruption used to be only as bad as in, say, Turkey just 10 years ago. Then the EU agricultural subsidies vastly increased and stripping money from the federal goverment with non-existant farms became a national sport, becoming a training field for other goverment support abuses and corruption in general (by depriving morality and belief to the virtues of hard work). Now it's one of the most miserable in the whole Europe regarding corruption, with only nations and "nations" like Moldova and Albania being worse. The saddest part is that the situation is only getting worse (slowly but steadily).

We have very few Greeks here (Markos and Axi post occasionally in the OT at best), and I don't think any non-Greek except VetLegion has any good knowledge on that country.
                    Hey, I know a lot about Greece economy through statistics I've been browsing during dark, cold, lonely winter nights, building up rage... that nation is my pet peeve: lazy and corrupt as ****, constantly screwing us northeners within the EU.

I HATE Greece with a passion. So take those words back!

Comment

OK

We have very few Greeks here (Markos and Axi post occasionally in the OT at best), and I don't think any non-Greek except VetLegion has any good knowledge on that country, and VJ who has a very good hatred
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Much better
                        Good sig taste, too.

Comment

Re: my 2 cents:

Originally posted by VJ
                          In Greece, corruption used to be only as bad as in, say, Turkey just 10 years ago. Then the EU agricultural subsidies vastly increased and stripping money from the federal goverment with non-existant farms became a national sport, becoming a training field for other goverment support abuses and corruption in general (by depriving morality and belief to the virtues of hard work).
                          BTW that strange. In Corsica (which is the pet peeve of many French people), the EU subsidies reduced fictional farming, because the EU inspectors were less pressured to ignore the blatant cheating than the former French ones (when the subsidies were purely French).

Comment

Name some countries that are not corrupt? Greece can be no worse than the usa/uk/france/germany/cuba/russia etc.
                            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Quite a bit apparently.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X