No announcement yet.

Vhat Booke Arrr Ye Reedin'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On a generally related note: If you are into military history, read ALL of Keegan's books.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

• Héhé, it seems I've got that Keegan book sitting on my shelf, really that good Theseus (or Solomwi)?

Well, I'll give it a go then and start immediately.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• I just picked up from the library today, the first novel ever written by an American President:

The Hornets' Nest by Jimmy Carter.

Comment

• Alva, I've never read anything by Keegan that wasn't articulate, informative and, perhaps best of all, highly accessible. Yes, that good.

JohnT: Just ordered a used copy of Marshall from Amazon. Looking forward to checking it out.
          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

• bump

I read "Age of Extremes" (1996) by Eric Hobsbawm yesterday. Well, that sucked. Full of commie apologism, obvious political bias among presented statistics (which used 100% credible sources like New York Times) and theoretisizing about various completely abstract -ism's which weren't defined at all (thus allowing author to theoretize about relations of different nations with a gut feeling of his own ). IMHO reading it is a waste of time.

Currently reading a Finnish book, "Kotona maailmankaikkeudessa" (2002) by E. Valtaoja, a much hyped book. Looks bad so far.
            Last edited by RGBVideo; April 2, 2005, 04:27.

Comment

• I've heard a lot of complaints about age of extremes... but also that the first two in the series (age of revolution and age of capital) are quite good. Can anyone verify this?

Comment

• Yes, Keegan is that good; he ranges from almost philosophical (e.g., 'The Face of Battle') to insanely detailed and yet insightful (e.g., his World War books).

Finished 'Claudius the God'... not quite as good as 'I, Claudius', but the two taken together are fabulous.

Banged out 'The Enemy', the latest in the Jack Reacher series... not nearly violent enough, and the mystery was sort of facile.

I'm going to re-read Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything', and then I'm gearing up to read all of the Dune pre-quels in chronological order, although the Amazon reviews worry me that they might be a let-down.

Also considering 'Sin City' due to the almost lyrical Slate review of the movie, but I've yet to get into the graphical novel thing.
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Working...
                X