Vhat Booke Arrr Ye Reedin'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pekka
    JohnT, And at which point did you think I was actually serious? In the part where I claim I wrote my own autobiography, or in the part where I claim to be the ubermaster?

The part where you thought you where being funny.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

You expect to learn German in just 2 months...? Good luck heh..
      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

The Illusion of Victory: America in World War 1 by Thomas Fleming.
        I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
          Incidentally, I'm looking for a book on learning German. I've got ~2 months to learn it before I'll be in Germany. I don't know any German, or any languages closer to German than English. Any suggestions?
          I'll be there in 3 months, for all of June.

Fortunately I've had 4 years of it. 2 months is a short time to learn much besides the basic tourist cliches.

Comment

I just finished "Another Roadside Attraction" by Tom Robbins this afternoon and I am in the middle of "The Castle" by Franz Kafka.
            "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
            —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

I did read Massie's Castles of Steel.

Not bad, but decidely non-geeky for a battleship book. I might pick up a copy of Dreadnought though, and the sociopath book from St Leo's thread the other day.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                JohnT, And at which point did you think I was actually serious? In the part where I claim I wrote my own autobiography, or in the part where I claim to be the ubermaster?

Thanks for the warning but I have another one for you:

Don't take the world so seriously. Most of us are here for the ride anyway.

You can say it's stupid, which it prolly is. But smart is overrated if you ask me. But shame on you if you think I have been serious on all week. Just bored. Admitted troller. So? Got milk?

Anyway RIGHT now I'm actually reading this book about finnish MP in the FFL.
                I'm speaking of his ability to threadjack threads into worthlessness.

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
                  Right now, I'm reading "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown.
                  Query: On page 1, Brown describes an albino with dark red pupils. Doesn't he mean an albino with dark red irises?

Comment

define 'read'. This is a very fluent thing for me.
                    i often start reading a book and then stop only to comeback a few weeks or months later.

currently:

11 minutes by paulo coelo
                    a history of warfare by john keegan
                    the tank defeat of 1941 by vladimir beshanov
                    war and strategy by yehoshafat harkabi
                    The Big Breach: From Top Secret to Maximum Security by Richard Tomlinson and nick fielding
                    the imperfect spies by yossi neknab and dan raviv

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff
                      The Illusion of Victory: America in World War 1 by Thomas Fleming.
                      I recently finished a very different piece, if Titles are anything to go by:

The Myth of the Great War by John Mosier.

The rets of the title is: How the Germans won the battles and how the Americans saved the Allies. A New Military History of World War 1.

I found the book intruiging and excellently researched.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                        I recently finished a very different piece, if Titles are anything to go by:

The Myth of the Great War by John Mosier.

The rets of the title is: How the Germans won the battles and how the Americans saved the Allies. A New Military History of World War 1.

I found the book intruiging and excellently researched.
                        Illusion of Victory focuses more on the political side of the war. It's main thesis is how Wilson and high placed Anglophiles got us involved into the war under false pretense. In short, the US basically had no business in that war. It's a very anti-Wilsonian book. It's refreshing to read something anti-Wilsonian, and it's particularly relevant now since W and the neo-Cons are our latest version of Wilsonians. I've read about 25% of the book and, so far, I really enjoy it.
                        I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

The Sane Society - Erich Fromm
                          Focault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
                          and I can't ever seem to get myself to finish The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

I finished The Age of Reason - Jean-Paul Sartre a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't been reading much since then. I'll probably finish my last hour at work reading one of the two first listed books.
                          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Oh.

Mosier's book ignores politics mostly. His claim is that the German army constantly beat the Allies on the battlefield and it was only until th Americans began pouring forces in, AND ignoring demands to work under the incomtent High Allied command that the Germans decided to give it up, since thwe war was still being fought on someone elses land.
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

shogun, clavell.
                              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Ludd, **** you dingleberry. I'm not here to entertain you. Like I said, I've been just trolling a lot. Don't bother replying, I'm out of here for a while anyway, it's dicks like you who ruin peoples days for no reason at all, except being a dick. Congratulations, you're a dick. Bye.
                                In da butt.
                                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                                X