Vhat Booke Arrr Ye Reedin'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vhat Booke Arrr Ye Reedin'?

Im reading "The Works of HG Wells". I finshed reading "The Time Machine" yesterday and started on "The Island of Dr Moreau" today.

edit: the book includes the following stories:

The Time Machine
    The Island of Dr Moreau
    The Invisible Man
    The First Men in the Moon
    The Food of the Gods
    The War of the Worlds

Lone Wolf 12: The Masters of Darkness
    The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

The Time Machine' is a great read. Much better than the film (the 60s version. I wont even mention the recent one) which removed the social aspect of the book where classes becomes so polarised that they go down different evolutionary paths.

Myself, Im mostly reading journal articles for my dissertation but I found a copy of The Gulag Archipelago in a charity shop for £2 the other day, so Im just about to start reading that. In fact, I saw it and immediately thought back to something someone posted on poly years ago, when I first started posting. It was something like "If you haven't read the Gulag Archipelago, then you are unworthy to talk about anything" or something like that. I can't remember who it was, but whoever you are/were, you're the reason I bought it.

Hmmm. Poly impacting on real life...worrying.

Comment

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.
        Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Comparative Indo-European Linguistics: An Introduction
          by Robert S.P. Beekes

for like the fifth time
          får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

How I became the leader of the world, the autobiography of SuperCitizen.

"The autobiography of SuperCitizen is a modern story of ultimate success. SC, often regarded as the champion stud, rose from the ghettos of Finland, Northern Europe, to conquer the whole world with his unchallenged verbal skills, his talent and his muscles.

This first part of the series will cover his childhood, how he came to Europe and the US and how he had sex with 300 women in one month."

"AWESOME!!!"
            New York Times

"This **** is the BOOOOOMB!"
            Ebony Times

"A book that should be taught in schools of our country"
            Fortune Magazine
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

As usual, several on the go at once:

'The Roots of Evil: A Social History of Crime and Punishment' by Christopher Hibbert

'American Favorite Ballads: Tunes and Songs' as sung by Pete Seeger

and 'Gloriana's Torch' by Patricia Finney.
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I just finished "The constant gardener" by John Le Carré.
                On another note, i will not be finishing "The Da Vinci code". First time that i will not make it through a book, no matter how boring.
                I even finished the one John Grisham novel i started, but this one proved to be too much for me. I got halfway through it, but it was too much: I had to re-read Foucault's Pendulum to "cleanse" my brain.
                What?

Comment

Catch-22 for the 6th time
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                  "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Perspectives on Power by Noam Chomsky, and Sacred Ballance, by David Suzuki.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

guns germs and steel, for the second time
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

"Small Places, Large Issues. An Introduction to Social and Cultural Anthropology" by Thomas Hylland Eriksen
                        "Cultural Anthropology. A Perspective on the Human Condition" by Emily Schultz
                        "The Sane Society" by Erich Fromm

Comment

Originally posted by Aivo½so
                          "Small Places, Large Issues. An Introduction to Social and Cultural Anthropology" by Thomas Hylland Eriksen

I have the garage mix of that one.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

"Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed" by Jared Diamond
                            mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Hon
                              "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed" by Jared Diamond

Finished that one a fortnight ago.

I thought some of his speculations in the Greenland Viking chapter were a little 'creative', especially the one about the possible reason for the absence of fish remains in middens.

But his chapters on Central American and Pacific cultures were terrific.

Comment

Working...
                              X