Why are American kids so dumb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

The problem is American schools aren't designed for educating students. They're designed to prepare students for work. Thus, a lot of what public schools are about are preparing students to deal with routine work and boredom. They definately do not want to teach students to think critically.

There was a big push in our schools to learn critical thinking. I think this is some of the most valuable education I have ever receieved.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
      Ever been to Duluth?
      I ment the coast of an ocean, you dingbat, not Lake Superior.

Comment

• I've always thought (And have witnessed) that the reasoning that they are dumb is because they don't care.

Look at the pop culture today. Tell me if you see any form of academics in it, any thrive of willing to learn. Nope.

Plus, most teenagers would rather have fun then do good in school. I was different, luckily. It's too bad that kids just don't care about any form of education now. The fact that those who are smart, rarely try their best (I admit, I'm guilty of this) doesn't help either.
        "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
        "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
        Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

• I ment the coast of an ocean, you dingbat, not Lake Superior.

PWNED!
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by dannubis
            but i do think they're rather ignorant of the rest of the world. like it or not but the media in the US are far more restricted (politically controlled) than ours.

not that the situation with us is that much better, but at least we are exposed to critisism once in a while...
            Ignorant, yes, that's true to a large degree.

However, I take issue with your blanket statement regarding U.S. media — political control, here?! Whatever. It doesn't take much work to find a variety of viewpoints WRT issues in the U.S. media. Don't let Talk Radio and Pundit Television lull you into the belief that the media — of which I'm a part of — is controlled by Washington, D.C., or any of the nation's statehouses.

Trust me when I say my colleagues and I have been called everything under the sun when it comes to our alleged political biases — one day we're left-wingers, the next, right-wingers. On some days we're progressives, and on others, anarchists. Our readers don't seem to be of one mind when it comes to classifying us, and that's a good thing. It means we're doing our job.

Gatekeeper

P.S. A small case can be made for too much corporate influence on the U.S. media, but even that typically doesn't get by without an outcry of some sort when a corporation steps beyond a certain point. Sinclair Media come to mind?
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

• Originally posted by Whaleboy
              I sometimes think a solution to the education crisis in the US and UK is the reinstatement of corporal punishment and much stronger parenting.

I went to a grammar school in the early Seventies, and they still had corporal punishment.

Of all the schools in the city where I lived, my school had the longest working day, earliest start, and the curriculum with the widest spread of subjects, as well as the best equipped science labs (thanks to contacts with Warwick University).

Despite all this, children were still being caned or slippered, and it was invariably the same ones.

If it's unlawful to physically assault adults, how much more wrong is it to assault minors in the care of adults unrelated to them ?
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• As I see it most American kids are desendants of Europeian blood so it probly runs in the genes.

Im Irish so it donot count.

Comment

• American kids are dumb because of the disassociation of families, or at least the semblence of families.

Education through HS is really just regurgitation, something American kids are taught to do from age 0. None of the kids are actually encouraged to find something they like and get involved, that is what families are suppose to do.

Without purpose ppl are usually left doing, and learning, nothing...
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kassiopeia

I think this claim was already shot down wrt. the PISA study - the study is performed on 14-15 year olds, and in most countries including Finland (who pwned the test may I add) all children of age 15 are still in the same comprehensive school, where there is no separation based on academic performance. (I wish there were, though.)

The incompatibility doesn't begin until about age 16, when most European students split ways to more academically oriented schools that prepare for higher education on the university level, and vocational schools where more 'mundane' professions are learned. AFAIK an American can drop out from high school at this stage, but high school and only highs chool is the only viable option to continue education at that point.
                    I'm not familiar with the PITA study, and I thought that the seperation of academic and vocational curricula began at about age 14 in the UK and Germany.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                      I'm not familiar with the PITA study, and I thought that the seperation of academic and vocational curricula began at about age 14 in the UK and Germany.
                      DUnno for the UK, but separation begins very soon in Germany indeed (even before 14 I think). And Germany has scored very poorly on the PISA study. The poor scores (even below the US IIRC) absolutely baffled the Germans, who obsessed about it for months.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Originally posted by Docfeelgood
                        As I see it most American kids are desendants of Europeian blood so it probly runs in the genes.

Im Irish so it donot count.

Last I heard, Ireland was part of Europe.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Japher
                          American kids are dumb because of the disassociation of families, or at least the semblence of families.

Education through HS is really just regurgitation, something American kids are taught to do from age 0. None of the kids are actually encouraged to find something they like and get involved, that is what families are suppose to do.

Without purpose ppl are usually left doing, and learning, nothing...
                          Yep, a lot of learning occurs OUTSIDE of the classroom, and it's hard to learn anything when Mom and Dad both have to work 12 hours a day, or when there is no Mom or Dad, so the kid is stuck in front of the TV all day.

Comment

Working...
                          X