Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you support grade/discipline based segregation in schools ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

You just get boys with no skills when it comes to interacting with girls.
    you aren't allowed to ineract with girls in class. You are forced to be quiet and listen to the teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
      If you doubt the ability of the school to make such an assessment , then let the experts do it . Introduce monthly standardised testing .
      How does a stadardised test of dicipline work?

It's not the job of an elementary school to sort people into different categories.

(That's a job for the society! )

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
        It's a system that, like all similar right-wing policies, seems willfully designed to increase social segregation and cement class structures. When there's ample sociological evidence that (a) children from underpriviledged backgrounds with no tradition of study do worse at school and that (b) teachers have a tendency to categorise working-class children as weak early on, this policy seems designed to keep the under-class dregs from sullying our fine institutions. In other words, it's just conservatism as usual.
        It seems you did not read what I wrote just a post or two above .

Originally posted by aneeshm

And the competitive spirit this encourages is very good . If the thing is evaluated every month , on the basis of the record of the past six months , then the academic boundaries become permeable and fluid , thus not forcing anyone to be anywhere except where they deserve . Monthly re-appraisals on the basis of the past record of six months is necessary for the system to work and for the three classes not to stratify .

Comment

But the chances are pretty good that they will stratify.

Comment

And the competitive spirit this encourages is very good
            Indeed, because kids should learn early on that life is all about competition.
            The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin

How does a stadardised test of dicipline work?

It's not the job of an elementary school to sort people into different categories.

(That's a job for the society! )
              A standardised test of discipline works by having a rulebook giving objectives principles of discipline ( applicable only on the school premises ) , depending upon which individual cases are judged , also based on certain rough guidelines provided in the same book . The rulebook is standardies .

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure that the use of that rulebook will work great in the real world.

Comment

@ Combat Ingrid

Are you trolling ? Because you see , it so just happens that on this planet , in this reality , life is , surprising as it may be to you , all about competition .

Comment

Possibly, though I think a better idea is to give the kids having problems with classwork extra help.
                    Why attempt to cure a problem you can prevent? Teach the classwork differently and maybe they won't have a problem with it.

You also run the risk of kids in such a class get labelled "idiots" or some such and hazed.
                    But you don't with remedial lessons? Bull****. Kids are smart enough to know more or less the strata of academic ability within a yeargroup without needing separate classes.
                    In my experience, the "idiots" are either left alone because it's like shooting fish in a barrel, or are themselves the hard bastards who pick on the smart kids.

If it is a discipline issue, it is paramount to find out what the problem is. There are various causes, one of them is the kid is too gifted for the class, so she gets bored, and start causing trouble. Or maybe she doesn't like regular education because she loves music or painting?
                    Yeah, I agree, and shifting them into a separate class isn't going to solve problems like that. But I would've thought by secondary school age, the child themself will be self-aware to some extent of their own problems, and the teachers will get informed of it.
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Do you support grade/discipline based segregation in schools ?

No. The bureaucratic web you are proposing to enforce this segregation would be terribly expensive, and probably completely arbitary and unfair.

Comment

I fail to see why I should let my grades potentially suffer and degrade my education so the idiot behind me can feel good about himself.

Hell, while I am studying all night he is probobly the one ****ing some hottie behind the bleachers, and you think HE needs help with his self esteem?

Not everyone gets to be an astonaut when they grow up.

Education is not about producing cogs for companies
                        Hmmm... breat feeding young adults through their education so they have no concept of hard work, self motivation, responsibility, and that real life is stratified produces something other that cubicle monkeys?
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Re: Do you support grade/discipline based segregation in schools ?

Grades specifically? No, they aren't the best rubric. Ability? Hell yes. Why do you come up with so many obvious questions?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                            school is not just about geting knowledge. realising that life is full of "disruptive idiots" (of any kind) is a very valuable leasson as well
                            Doesn't have to be learned over the course of fourteen years at the expense of a significant amount of knowledge.

Comment

I disgree. Education is not about producing cogs for companies, it is about bring out the full potentials in each and every individual.

It is better to find out why these "disruptive idiots" are disrupting, instead of banishing them to a downward spiral.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Birdseed
                                It's a system that, like all similar right-wing policies, seems willfully designed to increase social segregation and cement class structures. When there's ample sociological evidence that (a) children from underpriviledged backgrounds with no tradition of study do worse at school and that (b) teachers have a tendency to categorise working-class children as weak early on, this policy seems designed to keep the under-class dregs from sullying our fine institutions. In other words, it's just conservatism as usual.
                                And yet when egalitarian educational techniques are used (similar to commie economics where everyone is equal but poor) and everyone gets stupider, the left complains just as much.
                                He's got the Midas touch.
                                But he touched it too much!
                                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                                X