• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I routinely feel sorry for Mac people.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

no need, the jokes on windows guys.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I routinely feel sorry for Mac people.

oooh, that's cold.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
          Is this a thread for any random questions for Asher?

I've no wish to threadjack, but then again these are a bit dull.
          Hit me with your best shot.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I have an IBM related question in your private message area!
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

It was not a mere ratting out. It was a masterful set-up.

It was indeed.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
                I'd like to see some professional usability comparisons. Not that I think their summary would be different, but you know... their way of presenting is... more professional and more fact-based.
                I'm sure there's some pseudo-professional ones around the web. I remember OSNews had one, with Gnome/KDE both ending dead last.

Last year when I was taking a high-level HCI class, the prof looked at four interfaces over the week's 3 lectures -- Windows XP, MacOS X, and KDE / Gnome.

He had lots of criticisms for each OS, but when he was on KDE/Gnome, I can't even recall him saying anything good about it. He was exasperated by the end.

Hmm...maybe he has some articles published.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Here's the site I was thinking of: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3064&page=1

There are a lot of things we did not discuss in this article, but it would not be practical to write a real paper on these DEs. It would take me a month each and many-many pages. But I think this article summarizes well my view on how well these DEs they function and deliver what they are supposed to deliver to the user.

I acknowledge that there are good reasons for dealing with the negatives of Gnome and KDE, since there are other reasons for using Linux, and many people weigh the options and make that choice. However, today we live on times where everyone is pushing Linux on the desktop (or the corporate desktop by the mighty Red Hat) so including the main X11 offerings in this comparison article was appropriate.

Personally I much prefer overall the Windows XP experience with a close second the ones of MacOSX and BeOS. In fact, a DE that could have the best values found on these three operating systems, plus the power of Unix underneath, would make my utopian desktop environment. But there isn't such a DE (in fact, there is no such thing as "the perfect desktop", this is just a myth), so I usually reboot to them to enjoy their capabilities.

Here is the final rating, summed up from all the ratings above:

Final Rating:
                  Windows XP 8.55
                  MacOSX 8.33
                  BeOS 8.22
                  KDE 6.72
                  Gnome 6.61

Comment

I think most computer geeks fail to understand that majority of computer users out there don't care how or why their computer works. They just want it work, to function without loads of options or input from themselves. The average user is interested in the applications and applying them to either leisure or work. They don't care about the interaction between the applications and OS.

MS doesn't cater to the elitist minority geeky element and thats why they are laughing all the way to the bank.

Comment

Someone I know bought a Mac and he doesn't like OS X at all. He prefers good old OS 9. I don't know what version of OS X he has, though.
                      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Max Webster
                        I think most computer geeks fail to understand that majority of computer users out there don't care how or why their computer works. They just want it work, to function without loads of options or input from themselves. The average user is interested in the applications and applying them to either leisure or work. They don't care about the interaction between the applications and OS.

MS doesn't cater to the elitist minority geeky element and thats why they are laughing all the way to the bank.
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Just was reading that Ming thread on Mac-Civ forum. Pure gold.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I think most computer geeks fail to understand that majority of computer users out there don't care how or why their computer works. They just want it work, to function without loads of options or input from themselves.
                            The average computer user doesn't install Windows, either. If Linux comes pre-installed, it's just as easy to use.

The average user is interested in the applications and applying them to either leisure or work. They don't care about the interaction between the applications and OS.
                            That's why the average user getting their Wintel boxed owned and got tons of malware.

That's so wrong I don't even know where to begin. For starters, read up on the DoJ vs MSFT anti-trust case.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              Here's the site I was thinking of: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3064&page=1
                              You quoted Eugenia to back yourself up? Maybe you would quote John Dvorak next.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

If Linux comes pre-installed, it's just as easy to use.

Can they install a majority of the software out there? Would they know to look for a "Linux" shelf (and it'd be only ONE shelf 99% of the time) for their software purchases?
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X