• Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, and no. What do I win?

SP
    I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
      That's why the average user getting their Wintel boxed owned and got tons of malware.
      Be honest. The reason most of the adware, spyware, malware is written for Windows is because most computers use Windows.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        If Linux comes pre-installed, it's just as easy to use.

Can they install a majority of the software out there? Would they know to look for a "Linux" shelf (and it'd be only ONE shelf 99% of the time) for their software purchases?
        software...pur..chases?

Any low level computer user will come running to the next level computer user to ask him to install the software for him (and a crack as well if it's not free). Not that he has heard of cracks, but he has heard that all software can be acquired free of charge.

The thing with linux is, would you really need more software than you already have on your distribution cd? IM client, compressing, mediaplayers,... it's all there already.

Ofc, if you have preferences in software it's different, but if you seek something that does the same, it's there. But ofc, again you have 100s of software that does virtually the same and they are all included and the illiterate computer user has to decide which of them is best for him based on a short textual description or such. This is a horror! There should only be ONE IM client, ONE mediaplayer,... and this should be supported heavily. The user could or advanced user could still install his favorite IM client.
        KDE tried to do that, kind of, but their UI is so stupid. Single-left-click opens a folder for example
        "We just try to be different!" I bet they did not do a single ui study on this. Just, everything that is possible, make it an option.

The problem is in the philosophy, because you have open source and people are for general openess and that also includes being open in the ways you can do something and being able to adjust about everything.
        Normal people however don't want to play game with their OS and a reduction in options and a reasonable and well to use default setting are badly needed.

Another problem is that in open source the programmer is way too important. In reality the programmer is just the idiot who has to type it all in.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          If Linux comes pre-installed, it's just as easy to use.

Can they install a majority of the software out there? Would they know to look for a "Linux" shelf (and it'd be only ONE shelf 99% of the time) for their software purchases?
          1. Maybe, depends on the distro and the user. Then again, if you set up a Wintel XP box properly, users can't install software anyway in theory, because you'd limit their previleges.

2. It's called the Internet.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            Be honest. The reason most of the adware, spyware, malware is written for Windows is because most computers use Windows.
            No, that's not the reason. The reason is Windows has more security holes than swiss cheese.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I assure you that if Mac had a market share worth jack cheese then every hacker would find every hole in OS X's security. Same goes for Linux if some one actually ever came out with a standardized version which had more then a niche market.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
                The thing with linux is, would you really need more software than you already have on your distribution cd? IM client, compressing, mediaplayers,... it's all there already.
                Ignoring the fact that there's way too much on the distribution CD and half of it is crap, what happens when some ignorant user hears on the news that they need virus protection, and goes out and buys a copy of Norton Antivirus? Linux's vulnerability to viruses is irrelevant, what's relevant is that normal people, the people who open all the attachments they get, don't know that Windows software won't run on Linux. Until they spend $50 on a piece of software they can't use, get frustrated because they have to learn new things, take over the world, and kill everybody. Now humanity has been destroyed, and all because you want Linux installed on desktops. How does that make you feel, huh?

SP
                I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Fve Crathva

Ignoring the fact that there's way too much on the distribution CD and half of it is crap
                  I suggest you read my whole post first.

...Until they spend $50 on a piece of software they can't use
                  Yeah come on and pull examples out of nowhere... Try to stay realistic, okay!
                  There is a System Requirements Box on every software box and if you don't know what system you're running, well then you have to learn it. It's a simple string and string comparison which should be well enough for everyone to handle.
                  If you want to say that users don't have to learn, you're contributing more to a downward spiral.

I always try to strike a balance, between what a user has to know and what not, but some things are essential.

Would you blame people that put non-drier-ready cloths in the drier, after they found out that their things got XS suddenly? And this is just one example.
                  Sorry, but using any device requires some knowledge which you have to learn, this is NOT unique to computers and I think it's pretty essential, otherwise tech support will further explode explaining the "any" key to users because education is considered bad in computer business.

get frustrated because they have to learn new things, take over the world, and kill everybody. Now humanity has been destroyed, and all because you want Linux installed on desktops. How does that make you feel, huh?
                  destroying humanity because it has lost its ability to adapt. Only the stupid and inflexible shall survive, no?

0/10 for your trolls

Comment

You quoted Eugenia to back yourself up? Maybe you would quote John Dvorak next.
                    Has it ever occured to you to debate something with content? All I ever hear from you is rhetoric and ad hominems.

If you don't like what the man has to say, why not take issues with the points he made?
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

1. Maybe, depends on the distro and the user. Then again, if you set up a Wintel XP box properly, users can't install software anyway in theory, because you'd limit their previleges.

2. It's called the Internet.

You are the perfect example of the type of mindset that dominates the Linux development community, and the perfect example why Linux won't become a formidable force on the desktop until something changes. And you don't even realize it.

You're holding Linux back from widespread adoption, not helping it.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

No, that's not the reason. The reason is Windows has more security holes than swiss cheese.
                        1) You only need one to compromise the system
                        2) There are more holes known for the average Linux desktop suite than the average Windows one
                        3) The Linux kernel is a horribly-designed atrocity with way more security vulnerabilities than any other "modern" kernel
                        4) The vast majority of spyware, adware, and viruses get installed by either bundling with other products or "social engineering", something that will happen on any and all systems with a large enough demographic.

Comment

When you wake up in the morning, philosophically speaking, are you still you?
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I think if somebody really wants to beat Microsoft is to do what Mozilla did with their software. They took a hard look at internet explorer, looked at all its flaws and built a much better version of it.
                            Do that with the windows OS and the geeks of the world would be able to compete with MS.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                              When you wake up in the morning, philosophically speaking, are you still you?
                              Not until the first coffee.

Comment

A new day and a new you.

Comment

Working...
                                X